Question about bucks switching beds when a front breaks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Question about bucks switching beds when a front breaks

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:45 am

So it's been raining for a few days finally! We've been 3 months or more in a drought. I plan to get out tomorrow and hunt. The rain is supposed to stop around 7-8 am and then the wind will be switching counterclockwise from SE to W and later on NW, along with an increase in pressure. I have a feeling the deer will be moving mid morning.

My question is if a buck is bedded with a SE wind....what will that buck do when the wind starts switching to the W? Some beds they may have to cross down a creek or small river to get to their west bedding. Will they get up and switch when that wind change happens, or will they hold tight in that bed until they normally would move? I'm trying to figure out if I should setup on some west bedding in anticipation for the change or if I should setup on known SE beds by coming in from behind with the switched wind in my face.

I'm speaking of hill country only and parts of the area are rutting.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Question about bucks switching beds when a front breaks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:33 am

My observations tell me mature bucks will make small moves, younger deer may move farther. I would look close to the bedding they are in, rather than where they will move too...
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:46 am

dan wrote:My observations tell me mature bucks will make small moves, younger deer may move farther. I would look close to the bedding they are in, rather than where they will move too...

How would this effect them cruising during the rut? Specifically, we want to look at the downwind side of ridges. So if part of the day it's SE, then switches to the W, should we then move the the opposite ridge for cruising? Or stay on the initial side even during a switch.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:05 am

checkerfred wrote:
dan wrote:My observations tell me mature bucks will make small moves, younger deer may move farther. I would look close to the bedding they are in, rather than where they will move too...

How would this effect them cruising during the rut? Specifically, we want to look at the downwind side of ridges. So if part of the day it's SE, then switches to the W, should we then move the the opposite ridge for cruising? Or stay on the initial side even during a switch.

If the wind switched, I would switch.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:31 pm

I hunted a rainy cold front once - heavy rain all night, stopping about 8 am. Thought a poncho would be enough, alas - not even close. Rain slowed, I was frozen & wet, went for a change of clothes, rain stopped, deer moved. ALL the deer moved at once it seemed. I got back to my stand after 30 minute absence and there were the big tracks - right where I wanted him to be... Saw other deer out of the stand but the big one slipped through while I was gone.

I haven't had an opportunity to hunt in those conditions since but would hop on it if presented. Would wear rain pants & jacket this time...
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:47 pm

Rich M wrote:I hunted a rainy cold front once - heavy rain all night, stopping about 8 am. Thought a poncho would be enough, alas - not even close. Rain slowed, I was frozen & wet, went for a change of clothes, rain stopped, deer moved. ALL the deer moved at once it seemed. I got back to my stand after 30 minute absence and there were the big tracks - right where I wanted him to be... Saw other deer out of the stand but the big one slipped through while I was gone.

I haven't had an opportunity to hunt in those conditions since but would hop on it if presented. Would wear rain pants & jacket this time...

Dang that stinks...yeah I'm definitely gonna be wearing a rain suit. I've noticed right when the weather breaks deer move especially if it's been raining/snowing for a bit
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:53 am

I really like drizzling rain for deer to move while it is raining. For more severe rain and storms I have seen the deer wait for it to stop.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”