How Long to Wait?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CallMeFishmael

How Long to Wait?

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:19 am

Yesterday while I was scouting, I found the most awesome spot to hunt that I've found to date. I even jumped a buck out of the bed and on 12/3 in Michigan, that's a pretty good spot. So I got in his bed and figured it out but figured I probably burned it for a little while. My question is, since yesterday being 12/3 and our season going until 1/1, is there any chance this spot might be worth a hunt before season is out? Or will I likely have to wait to hunt this next year and deal with thoughts of what might be for a full year? If so, the anticipation is going to be brutal!

mauser06
500 Club

Re: How Long to Wait?

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:39 am

Probably would have been worth a hunt this morning.

It's muzzleloader season...I'd figure out a way to stalk the bed once in a while through the season. I like a wet or windy day to eliminate some of the noise factor. Figure out how to beat the sight and scent advantages He might have. He might be there or another buck might be using it.

Or if you hunt with anyone else have them or yourself post up while the other waits in a good escape route.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:19 am

Might as well give it a shot, you have nothing to lose this late in the game. If it doesn't work you can keep that spot in your bag of tricks for next fall..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 am

Good point. And I have a great set up for the bed 75 yards out and there is only one way in/out of it other than the escape routes as far as I can tell. The bed is so well used, they have to be in there all the time. So I'll wait towards the end of muzzleloader and give it a shot. If that buck isn't back, I bet another one will get in there. It is so secure and there is no sneaking in on it. This is in a section of very heavily hunted land. So to find this bed and jumping a buck out of it was like finding a pile of gold. The nice thing about it being so heavily hunted is that they won't be surprised to have hunter scent where I have to go until the 30 yards to the tree.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:23 am

If you get snow you could circle wide and check for tracks. If you find big tracks give it a sit.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:20 pm

I would have set up the rest of the day right there, and again the next morning (assuming decent wind) although we are reaching the time of year where morning bed hunts get really tough.

He is gonna come back at some point and to smell around and see if its safe. Then when he smells you were right there its game over.

Since you stood in his bed its probably going to be quite a while before he feels comfortable using it after he comes back and smells you. Maybe next week, maybe next year. But I would keep an eye on it, do a loop at a safe distance cutting trails and and look for fresh tracks heading in and out. I would want some fresh intel like that or at least a really good hunch. Those big bucks do not like human scent in their beds at all...
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:20 pm

Very good points. Thank you for the input. We just got 5" of snow here. So that will help keep tabs on it. My next chance to hunt won't be for a week anyway. I will swing by there next Sunday afternoon and see if someone is home. Otherwise, I can go scout another piece some more.

CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:12 am

Here was the bed he was laying in. It is down to mostly dirt and had some pretty good rubs in it and leading to it.

This was in the bed:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:50 am

At the very least you might have found a money late season bed for next year 8-)

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”