Thick or Open?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

Re: Thick or Open?

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:51 pm

I gotta hunt the thick stuff more

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:42 pm

dan wrote:
Pics from tree stand can be decieving. Next time you are in a thick stand take a pic and see if it does the understory real jistice for just how thick it is in reality.

Funny you say that... I was in stand today in the thickest stuff for miles and was thinking the exact same thing. From above it looks like a open field, but its really thick.

I posted this in live from the field tonight and when I first took it I thought "it doesn't do it justice at all."

I had very few shot opportunities at anything over 10 yards. Furthest shot to one trail was 22.5 yards. Briars were catching my pants and stand constantly while walking in.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:17 am

Lockdown wrote:
I posted this in live from the field tonight and when I first took it I thought "it doesn't do it justice at all."

I had very few shot opportunities at anything over 10 yards. Furthest shot to one trail was 22.5 yards. Briars were catching my pants and stand constantly while walking in.

I can relate Lockdown. I hunt & scout stuff like this alot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:06 am

Well said PK, sometimes pictures don't do things justice. Angles can under and over exaggerate. The other day I had sat for several hours and when I got down, I had almost forgot how tall and thick it really was because up in a tree it creates a blanket affect so to speak. I would also say don't get too caught up in pictures online. Main stream media sure can take and paint a picture but reality is far from it often.

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:33 am

Lockdown wrote:
dan wrote:
Pics from tree stand can be decieving. Next time you are in a thick stand take a pic and see if it does the understory real jistice for just how thick it is in reality.

Funny you say that... I was in stand today in the thickest stuff for miles and was thinking the exact same thing. From above it looks like a open field, but its really thick.

I take pictures from the stand all the time and post them on instagram and stuff, and I noticed that a lot of the thick stuff I am hunting doesnt do it justice either, but looking at the picture, I can tell where the deer would be traveling or bedding.

But the pics I have been seeing are all in the open. The trees seem to align perfectly and you can see long distances. IDK. Usually you can tell if its thick or not. Maybe not how thick but these pics were open.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:42 am

Picture of a marsh I hunted. This was over my head at ground level

Transition into a tamarack swamp

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:24 am

So these are the pics from one of my spots. Not only is it thick, but I had to cut a few shooting lanes because there was no way to shoot in this area without doing so.

This first picture is the shooting lane to my left. All natural. There is a break in a wall about 25 yards away.

This second picture is right in front of me. Bucks seem to use these light paths to avoid that opening where the oak tree is. I have gotten hundred of pictures of does in that opening where the oak tree is. And not even a spike buck runs through it.

This third picture is the shooting lane I had to cut. There is a massive oak tree at the end of this now "path" where it is and open circle with grass. Probably 5 yards wide and 7 yards long. (pretty much where the tree covers when it has its leaves on it. And it is a grassy green area. Its the weirdest thing.) But everything around it is really thick. Its a good morning spot because the deer run through this spot and then up a hill behind me and bed on the knobs up the hill. If I try to hunt this in the afternoon I bump a dozen deer.

But these pics dont do justice either. It takes me an hour to go through this stuff. And I get turned around ALL the time. Even in the middle of the day when I check my trail cameras.

But idk I looking at these pics, and the others. I can tell a HUGE difference between all of these spots and the spots people are posting on this other app.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”