The World of Technology and Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

The World of Technology and Hunting

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:25 am

So I have noticed a lot of guys on here post pictures of topo maps and such from their phones. And a friend of mine just introduced me to onX Hunt Maps. Seems really cool. It gives you land owner information, Land boundaries, as well as the option to overlay topographic maps on top of the satellite images. It is kind of cool. I mean its a yearly subscription. its like 30$ per year but it gives you all the information above and more so I figure it will help me in finding some decent spots to hunt.

What do you guys use? Any cool features?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: The World of Technology and Hunting

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:36 am

I use onx on my iPhone. No cell service just save maps for off line use. The gps will still work. Onx has literally changed the way I hunt

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:37 am

I use ONX maps and really like it. Its not perfect but I think its the best tool out there for use with your cell phone. If I am sitting at my computer I use Google Earth (with KMZ files from the DNR), GIS maps, and Bing maps to get views of properties at different times of the year.

ONX Maps on my iPhone 7 has pretty much replaced my GPS for navigation as well...
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:39 am

Hawthorne wrote:I use onx on my iPhone. No cell service just save maps for off line use. The gps will still work. Onx has literally changed the way I hunt

This is a really great feature I also use a lot. With saved maps you can set your phone in Airplane mode and it still shows you where your at and uses a lot less battery power I think.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:54 am

I find that the map features and such are amazing on the onx maps. I use it a lot because of the property boundaries. Everything is so close to each other in Rhode Island its scary. I went out with my onX maps and marked where I had killed my button buck and I was RIGHT on the line of the property I was on and the property line of the airport. I was told the property went out 200 yards past where I was and then I checked on my phone and I stopped into town hall and checked there records and the property line was plus or minus 2 feet. Crazy.

But I noticed that the GPS is not as great as my regular GPS. I can follow my tracks right out of the woods with my GPS. But with the app its spotty. I walked the same path to and from my spot to my car and it showed me about 20 yards off the trail I walked in on. Even though it was the same one. My GPS shows me exactly on the same run to and from.

I love them both. IMO its totally worth the 30 bucks a year.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:13 am

Jrichard wrote:I find that the map features and such are amazing on the onx maps. I use it a lot because of the property boundaries. Everything is so close to each other in Rhode Island its scary. I went out with my onX maps and marked where I had killed my button buck and I was RIGHT on the line of the property I was on and the property line of the airport. I was told the property went out 200 yards past where I was and then I checked on my phone and I stopped into town hall and checked there records and the property line was plus or minus 2 feet. Crazy.

But I noticed that the GPS is not as great as my regular GPS. I can follow my tracks right out of the woods with my GPS. But with the app its spotty. I walked the same path to and from my spot to my car and it showed me about 20 yards off the trail I walked in on. Even though it was the same one. My GPS shows me exactly on the same run to and from.

I love them both. IMO its totally worth the 30 bucks a year.

Thanks for posting this, I have been back and forth about trying it as there is little coverage in New England. Maybe I will try it for Connecticut next year.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:17 am

Google maps. Not google earth. Use it like a GPS. Drop points, mark them. Always is saved.
ONYX - first time using it this year. Killed a buck this year in a small spot I never realized was on the ground we have permission to hunt.

Onyx is also really great when someone says "hey you can hunt any ground I own". Well, what ground do they own? You can search the persons name and it will list ALL the properties they own. So instead of trying to get directions, its all laid out pretty clearly.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:22 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Google maps. Not google earth. Use it like a GPS. Drop points, mark them. Always is saved.
ONYX - first time using it this year. Killed a buck this year in a small spot I never realized was on the ground we have permission to hunt.

Onyx is also really great when someone says "hey you can hunt any ground I own". Well, what ground do they own? You can search the persons name and it will list ALL the properties they own. So instead of trying to get directions, its all laid out pretty clearly.

That is exactly what I would be using it for. It would have to be on my phone though as I wouldn't want to put the chip in my GPS as I have a lot of custom maps in there and it would be a PIA to move them over and I don't know it there is enough storage on the ONX chip. I wish that there was another option to load the ONX maps to my SD card thought Basemap.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Obsessive1

Unread postby Obsessive1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:39 am

onXmaps is an excellent app due to property boundary/owner information feature, graphics, state/county roads/trails, and map mark-up ability (although lacking in this category). However, it is pricey, desktop navigation is not as seamless as others, weather features are troublesome (to me), and possesses no scent-cone or additional desirable features to the best of my knowledge.

The Huntstand app is the most comprehensive app I've found; it also includes boundary/parcel features (Missouri), weather, wind, solunar, area/distance measuring tools, exhaustive map-marking capabilities in multiple colors, and even possesses the ability to save numerous maps possessing different mark-ups for different purposes. It's free.

I also like the ScoutLook app, especially for accurate weather forecasts, scent-cone present & future dates/time feature, and map mark-up capabilities (although lacking in this category). It's free.

I utilize all three, all are available offline, and all sync with desktop applications. Of the three, Huntstand blows the others away in desktop applications, the measuring/mark-up tool features are addictive once learned to navigate.

Below is a helpful link for a preview of hunting apps, which can only be expected to grow and improve in perpetuity. I look forward to the day I can settle on one app exclusively.

http://www.advancedhunter.com/35-best-d ... id-iphone/
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:17 am

I have the Onx maps cards for Iowa and Wisconsin that I use in my Garmen Oregon 600. Best money I have spent in a long time. The topos and property boundaries have been so helpful especially when hunting out of state.

Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:31 am

Dewey wrote:I have the Onx maps cards for Iowa and Wisconsin that I use in my Garmen Oregon 600. Best money I have spent in a long time. The topos and property boundaries have been so helpful especially when hunting out of state.

They make cards for a GPS unit? Does it worth the same way that the app on the phone works? I may just get one of those instead of paying 30$ a year
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:38 am

Jrichard wrote:
Dewey wrote:I have the Onx maps cards for Iowa and Wisconsin that I use in my Garmen Oregon 600. Best money I have spent in a long time. The topos and property boundaries have been so helpful especially when hunting out of state.

They make cards for a GPS unit? Does it worth the same way that the app on the phone works? I may just get one of those instead of paying 30$ a year

Yes, they are $100 for each state. I tried the phone version but liked the card much better. They are pricey but worth every penny if you ask me.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:41 am

Dewey wrote:
Jrichard wrote:

Yes, they are $100 for each state. I tried the phone version but liked the card much better. They are pricey but worth every penny if you ask me.

Dewey have you had any problems with incorrect boundaries or lands marked as public on the maps but are really private? Just not sure how much I can trust the maps for stuff like that. From what I have experienced, it has been very accurate
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:48 am

I'm w/Dewey...OnX Mn chip in a etrex 20...tried the phone apps but I am not patient enough :roll: More intent on tactics right now.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:06 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Jrichard wrote:

Dewey have you had any problems with incorrect boundaries or lands marked as public on the maps but are really private? Just not sure how much I can trust the maps for stuff like that. From what I have experienced, it has been very accurate

So far they have been extremely accurate. I used the Iowa one extensively this year and my WI card is a few years old already.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”