Deer waving tail?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Deer waving tail?

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:19 am

When I hunted Michigan this season I noticed the does I saw feeding and milling around almost constantly flagged their tails. They were in the up position and waiving around quite often. Seemed like the bigger does mostly. These were calm deer feeding around. Not swatting bugs away or anything like that..

I didn't think I've seen that often in PA deer..now that I've been back home and seen more PA deer...I'm not seeing that behavior.

Anyone know what the cause may be??

I was came up with 2 possibilities..the low deer density in Michigan and that's a visual way of communicating with other deer. You could see that white from a mile away through the timber. The other I thought maybe something to do with her estrous cycle and she was trying to attract a buck...

I have no idea...just found that interesting and thought you guys might know.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Deer waving tail?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14 am

Interesting. I have only ever observed them doing that when they were just about to bust off in alarm. Definitely not relaxed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:58 am

Me too...these deer fed infront of me calm as could be for a good half hour. 2 different groups. It really caught my attention because I didn't think I've seen that behavior before. After watching plenty of PA deer i didn't observe it...

Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:55 am

I see this every now and then.
Mostly when a doe with fawns just winded you and she runs off a ways then slows to a walk then sways her tail from side to side for the next 20-30yds.

I take it as she smelled you, she knows "what" you are, just not 100% sure "where" you are. Just letting the fawns know to pay attention!

You said these deer weren't alarmed though so I have no clue.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Ya none of these deer were alarmed and wind wasn't a factor as per my milkweed seeds...neither was where I walked...

Seemed very casual...calm relaxed content deer. Many stuck around feeding for an extended period of time.

Definitely caught my attention..

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:47 pm

It's a sign of politeness & friendliness.

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Could they have been defecating? Just thought .
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:09 pm

From my observations, when you see a tail flick a deer is about to move, like the coast is all clear. I believe it's a sign of comfort and safety.

It's also to swat away bugs, not sure when you saw this behavior but it was very warm up into November and mosquitos where heavy, with other bugs.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:25 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:From my observations, when you see a tail flick a deer is about to move, like the coast is all clear. I believe it's a sign of comfort and safety.

Great explanation.That is exactly why they do it.

It's especially noticeable with does because that is how they communicate with fawns. Pretty neat to see the fawns doing it later too as they learn.

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:58 pm

I thought about bugs...but bugs weren't bothering me..

I figured it was some sort of visual communication...and thinking about it I do believe it was the mature does doing it...

Just interesting that I don't see it in PA like I did in Michigan. The does up there did it pretty steadily. I see deer here in PA twitch their tails now and again...bit the ones I'm Michigan did it pretty frequently and the tail came straight up as if alarmed..twitched a bit and back down..then repeat.

Always trying to learn everything I can about the critters I chase..like Dan's post/video on watching deer opposed to simply seeing them. Lots of little things they do that you can pick up on.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:41 pm

Not sure of the timing on your hunt, but I have seen this behavior with does ready to breed. It could also be some sort of communication within the group about dominance of the group. I watched does feeding the other day and the big does kicked and bullied a fawn till they were done eating and made the young one wait till last... This was at someones back yard bird feeder. Tails would go straight up when they got mad about the fawn approaching or were just about to attack the fawn.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:57 am

I thought possibly a breeding communication too...It was Nov 15-19 in the upper lower peninsula of Michigan. Rut was probably pretty hot.

I thought maybe because the low deer density and even lower buck population that it was a visual sign...You could see it forever in open woods...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”