Question about buck bedding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Question about buck bedding?

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:35 pm

I have not seen either buck since the first encounter. Pretty sure they had me figured out after the next day when I got aggressive and hunted the edge of the bedding area and then they vacated the area to a different bedding area.
I cruised thru there today and with the fresh snow from a few days ago and thought I could pick up some fresh tracks again. There were absolutely no fresh tracks anywhere which I thought was kind of strange because a week ago the trails were very heavy.

Moving on tommorrow to a entirely different area and the plan is pretty much brown is down to end the season.

Looking forward to opening day 2011 an hopefully another encounter with either deer. ;)

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Way to hang in there and not give up Dewey. These late season deer are TRICKY even if they are slaves to their stomachs. Hopefully you can find the bedding area they vacated too and pick up some sheds. Then next yr you can get a couple hunts on them rather than just one.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:54 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Way to hang in there and not give up Dewey. These late season deer are TRICKY even if they are slaves to their stomachs. Hopefully you can find the bedding area they vacated too and pick up some sheds. Then next yr you can get a couple hunts on them rather than just one.

Thanks. I'm really depressed the season is over but really excited for next year. This has been my best year ever for mature bucks and I learned a lot for next season.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:12 pm

I hear ya I can't wait as well. I spent a lot of time scouting public land and found a few good areas where bucks were bedding but every weekend I ended up hunting private land with my grandpa. He is just getting into bowhunting with me and spending time with him is what's important to me for right now, he won't be around forever unfortunately. That being said on our crappy northwoods private land I still had an encounter with the biggest buck I've ever seen on or around our land and in the 100yrs its been in the family it is bigger than anything that's ever been killed there. Being mobile is where its at and I predict an awesome fall of 2011 for all of the avid contributers here on the beast.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”