Shooting issues

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jmaas07
500 Club

Shooting issues

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:01 am

This pertains to gun. I have never had major issues with accuracy while shooting deer up until this season. I hunt with a scoped tc omega muzzleloader and shoot off hand mostly out of a treestand and Iv shot a fair amount of bucks this way. I missed a nice buck and wounded another last week, neither of these shots were terribly far, 100 yards and 70 yards. I feel like I can't hit the broadside of a barn at this point. I checked zero off sandbags and the gun is on. Any advice on off hand shooting?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

sureshotscott
500 Club

Re: Shooting issues

Unread postby sureshotscott » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:10 am

When you check zero at the range are you practicing shooting offhand?
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:12 am

sureshotscott wrote:When you check zero at the range are you practicing shooting offhand?

No, can only shoot off bags at the range

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:15 am

use shooting sticks in the tree stand till you have the confidence back.
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:23 am

You should find a different range. :D

Bluewater Sportsmens Association is, IMO, the best range in SE MI and yearly fees are modest. They have regular muzzleloader shooting events, and a ton of other activities.

http://bwsa.club

If that doesn't work for you, dry-fire practice may be a short-term solution. I assume this is possible with a ML. Look this up on youtube and follow the safety protocols.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 am

Id just try and slow things down during the moment of truth (easier said than done, I know) perhaps develop a method for your shooting so you do things consistently every time like exhale, feather the trigger instead of squeezing it, stuff like that. That way the next time a buck appears all these small things are second nature.
Also like Jeff G said a shooting stick may help, and if you cant get a shooting stick can you tuck your elbow into your body to help steady the shot?
Good on you for trying to improve your shooting, best of luck going forward jmaas!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:37 am

Take your time while hunting and practice how you hunt (off hand shooting)

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:25 am

In the past I always just raised the rifle and as soon as the animal was in the cross hairs the gun went off, I hit a buck in the spine last year and decided to try to take my time a bit more so this year I have held on the animal longer and really tried to steady the crosshairs and shoot, I'm wondering if I'm just psyching myself out and giving myself too long to think about everything, I'm thinking I may be jerking at the trigger pull. I did watch a video of a guy shooting off hand and bringing the gun up from 7oclock to the target and as soon as the crosshairs were on the target the gun went off, reminded me of how I always shot at deer. What are some opinions on shooting as soon as the animal is in the cross hairs or trying to remain steady for a bit longer and then pull the trigger? Thanks for the responses so far

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:12 am

Squeeze the trigger at the bottom of your breath cycle. There's a spot during your exhaleyour most accurate. Google breathcontrol for military snipers.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:22 am

Hawthorne wrote:Squeeze the trigger at the bottom of your breath cycle. There's a spot during your exhaleyour most accurate. Google breathcontrol for military snipers.

I agree with this. Shoot with the same form you are shooting with on the range. Pick a single hair to aim at not a general spot. I have been on stand with a few friends that have missed deer with guns. Usually the shooter anticipates the kick or pulls the gun up quickly to see the target and that results in a high miss. An easy slow steady squeeze works best. Dont worry about the kick. Focus on the target.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:33 am

Sounds like your gun is still moving when it goes off. Gotta stop it on the target. Try to watch the bullet hit through the scope. (Fun watching them crumple in the scope)

I don't shoot as soon as the crosshairs hit the target. I put the hairs on 'em, make sure they are behind or on the shoulder depending on the desired exit (aim for the exit) and shoot but not in a rush. I don't get caught up in trying to split hairs either - I hold on a deer and shoot in 2-5 seconds. After that, you get shaky and may jerk the trigger.

Use a rest whenever you can. My stepson was messing with me at the range, and challenged me. I put the gun up against a 4x4 upright and went to town. He then gave me grief about using a rest - I asked him why he felt he could outshoot someone using a rest... He now uses a rest when available.

I use a shooting stick these days - took 2 deer this year - 7 pt at 150-175 yards and a doe at 250 yards using the shooting stick out of a climber and ladder stand (same tree). It is nice to have the steadiness and also nice to have a place to set your elbow on the long shots. You'll be alot steadier if you can set your elbow on something and use the shooting stick.

You could always use a sling to help steady your shot if you are actually shaky... It will help out to 100 yards. Beyond that I'd say shooting stick.

Shooting stick is also handy if you need to hold your gun and thread a shot through thick cover.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:28 am

Shooting is the weak point of my game I followed hawthorns advice and found this article pretty good
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sniper ... the-range/

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:19 am

Yet, we are not talking sniper school - just a 100 yard OFFHAND shot on a deer. Might be best just to hold the breath as opposed to worrying about it.

Likely all that is needed is some time on a range where you can set up a deer silhouette and practice offhand some.

You have to know where the crosshairs are when you shoot. "Watch the bullet hit" is my mantra and every time I do that, the deer falls - if I don't do that I miss.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:41 am

I missed 3 different bucks last year. First with a bow, the other 2 with a rifle...... I never miss with a rifle. Each time the bucks got bigger. By the 3rd miss, I was a wreck. Checked the zero on my gun and it was fine.

I think my problem was over confidence and not concentrating on the shot.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:22 am

After reading the article I realize I'm guilty of the death squeeze to a degree and I believe I'm jerking the trigger because I'm holding for too long and allowing my mind to just overthink and also not shooting at the bottom of a breath, I believe I'm holding my breath after exhale for far too long. I went to the range on my lunch break and shot off the bench, my scope was off 6" high and 6" right at 100 yards. I checked zero after missing the first buck and it was on, something must have happened in the couple days inbetween missing and making a poor shot on the second buck. I got it back on today and practiced shooting at the bottom of a breath and slow squeeze of the trigger, felt better. Appreciate all the feedback guys, hope I can pull it together and muster up another opportunity. Been by far my worst deer season to date.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”