Shooting issues

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: Shooting issues

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:25 am

Southern Man wrote:I missed 3 different bucks last year. First with a bow, the other 2 with a rifle...... I never miss with a rifle. Each time the bucks got bigger. By the 3rd miss, I was a wreck. Checked the zero on my gun and it was fine.

I think my problem was over confidence and not concentrating on the shot.

I hear you on feeling like a wreck, I have been down in the dumps after these 2 blunders. Just 2 days apart. Sick about it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:41 am

I did also decide to buy a shooting stick, I'm not risking wounding another buck. Hopefully I get on another one before the seasons over.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:45 am

jmaas07 wrote:
Southern Man wrote:I missed 3 different bucks last year. First with a bow, the other 2 with a rifle...... I never miss with a rifle. Each time the bucks got bigger. By the 3rd miss, I was a wreck. Checked the zero on my gun and it was fine.

I think my problem was over confidence and not concentrating on the shot.

I hear you on feeling like a wreck, I have been down in the dumps after these 2 blunders. Just 2 days apart. Sick about it.

I did redeem myself Thanksgiving morning. I shot a buck, one shot, perfect hit, he went only 30 yards.

After the fact I should have let him walk I guess. He was a 3yo 8pt. Average but nothing spectacular. But I wanted to prove to myself I could do it.

Getting over a miss (or misses) is a hard thing to do sometimes. It plays on your mind a bit. I shot that buck to prove to myself I could do it, now I'm ready to move on, lesson learned.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:48 am

congrats on the buck southernman. You arent kidding about it messing with your mind, I really need to do the same and make good on one soon.

bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:51 pm

Like Hawthorn said breathing/finger control. Also a technique I've read that carlos hathcock used is focus on the crosshairs, squeeze ,wait on recoil

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Talking 100yds completely free hand? Like no kind or rest? Not even a stand rail, tree, your knee or anything??

That's not crazy bit again standing there shooting a deer freehand at 100yds isnt easy either. I always find something. At the very least my knee and elbows. Been a few I had to hold the gun and shoot but it's rare and I grew up gun hunting off the ground.

Slow down...focus...find something to atleast rest on.

Also, don't know if your shooting a field or open area or what...brush and "invisible twigs" are a killer..only deer I've missed with a scoped rifle I know that was why.

One year a buck came out of a small drive and was standing on the next hill. Buddy shot and it ran and stood infront of me. 4 shots and he's still standing and dancing around. I couldn't understand it. I had 1 round left. I cranked up the scope and realized the sun glare washed out all the branches between me and him. I could see them cranked up...found a hole and dumped him.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:23 pm

That's a good article. Accuracy is practice practice practice...and until you find a way to take the bench rest with you up into the deer stand, shooting off a bench is lousy practice. Just like shooting a bow all summer long at 20, 30, and 40 yards only in a T shirt and shorts.

I would add, piggybacking on Mauser's comments, all good shots that I have met don't shoot offhand beyond spitting distance anyway. They find a rest.

Only in the movies or in dreams do people hit what they are aiming at offhand....everyone else misses or wounds critters doing that. I carry shooting sticks 100% of the time when I am gun hunting late season.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:14 am

If you are shooting and missing at 70 and 100 yards off hand you should be practicing at those ranges. Offhand shooting requires technique and muscle memory that is acquired by practice.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:19 am

Appreciate the replys. I did pick up a shooting stick yesterday, that will be coming along on every gun hunt from now on.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:45 am

Lots of good advice above.

Do you have a sling on the rifle? If not put one on it and use it as a "Hasty sling". It will make you much more stable shooting off hand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8OeQdwFEY

There is no substitute for practice.

Hope this helps.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:20 am

I do have a sling on, that's a pretty neat little trick there

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:54 am

jmaas07 wrote:I do have a sling on, that's a pretty neat little trick there

It adds a lot more stability than you would think possible. Handlebar moustache is optional.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:00 pm

I tried it right after I watched the video, worked nicely

GABUCK05
Facebook: 2889 Anitoch Rd

Unread postby GABUCK05 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:35 am

I'm chiming in late here but I think everyone goes through this at some point. One thing that has worked for me is to remind myself to keep squeezing the trigger even after the shot. It helps to follow trough the shot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”