north woods buck rut route example

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

north woods buck rut route example

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:43 am

This is an actual buck that I tracked about one week ago. I am always talking about how these bucks use edges and this buck was a great example so I thought I'd share it and add some observations.

A. The area on the photo marked (A) is where he came across the road and skirted the edge between the high ground hard woods and low swampy land. From past experience I'd bet he will cross in this same place when he comes thru next time. He will most likely run nearly the exact same route. This is a typical edge formed by elevation change. If I was intent on killing this buck I would take photos of his tracks, all 4, fronts and rears, so I could identify him later. I would also set up a camera along this route to see what he looks like and also to see if any other bucks are running the same route.

As I have said before there are edges everywhere with thousands of acres to choose from. Just think how important it is to know where this buck travels. I have proven it over and over again to myself that these bucks are very patternable. I just narrowed down a square mile of land to a very defined path. I think everyone can see how big of an advantage this is.

The spot where he crossed the road often has tracks crossing there. Other deer are aware of the route he is using as well.

B. The blue lines are outlining two very wet spots that form a bottleneck in his route. This would be a great place to set up a stand. Since this is a rut route I would not worry about over hunting it. I would sit it as many days as I wanted in a row. He might only come through once a week, who knows? I would of course play the wind and choose an entry route that wouldn't tip off the buck.

[glow=red]The purple outlined area[/glow]
This is the key to the whole route. Why is the buck traveling this route? To get to the logged area and check for does. these clear cuts are great feed and bedding areas for does. Once this spot matures to a certain age the does will not use it and the buck will no longer travel there. Also notice that the clear cut is also an edge that he followed almost perfectly. I haven't checked the wind for the day he traveled it but I wouldn't be suprised if it was blowing to that edge.

C. The buck decided to bed down after checking the cut. he bedded at (C). notice how he turned 90 degrees and then zig-zagged before bedding. They often do a lot of zig-zagging before bedding. I would guess that this buck bedded here before and this would be a great place to slide in and blow a grunt or doe bleat call. Heck, I would even watch the road where he first crossed and if he went in there then that would be the time to slide over to the bedding area and try calling.

D. This is where I walked out. This is not the buck route.

This track is very typical of how these northern bucks travel during the rut. This is only a small piece of the puzzle for one buck. Knowing how bucks travel is a big key to big woods success.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: north woods buck rut route example

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:50 am

Very informative post, thanks for taking the time to post it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:07 am

Good stuff - one question you said about the clear cut " Once this spot matures to a certain age the does will not use it and the buck will no longer travel there". What age do you find that to be? I have a older cut of about 12 - 14 years that i have in one of my areas - see the deer are hammering the browse on the edge - the interior is thick with new growth/slash - I figure prime bedding. What do you think? Thanks
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:07 am

I agree me and by brother call them rut circuits. We look for a area that will have multiple buck circuits runing thru.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:12 am

rempse2 wrote:Good stuff - one question you said about the clear cut " Once this spot matures to a certain age the does will not use it and the buck will no longer travel there". What age do you find that to be? I have a older cut of about 12 - 14 years that i have in one of my areas - see the deer are hammering the browse on the edge - the interior is thick with new growth/slash - I figure prime bedding. What do you think? Thanks

You kinda answered your own question. scouting shows they are still using it then it will attract bucks. Scouting will tell you when to move on.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:14 am

Findian wrote:I agree me and by brother call them rut circuits. We look for a area that will have multiple buck circuits runing thru.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I often refer to their routes as circuits.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:16 am

Tonto done good!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:18 am

One thing that drives me crazy is baiting. People keep baiting different spots every year which can affect the routes that bucks use. It has become a game of connect the dots with the dots being the baits. The key in that situation is those bottleneck spots between areas.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:38 am

Baiters suck.

Lil Hodag

Unread postby Lil Hodag » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:41 am

Yes they do.

dagger

Unread postby dagger » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:53 am

People who bait drive me nuts, they're lazy! That's an excellent mapping. Thanks

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:04 pm

Way cool Magic...one question though, I'm assuming you got your line gps tracking, if so what maps are those? :D
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:14 pm

creepingdeth wrote:Way cool Magic...one question though, I'm assuming you got your line gps tracking, if so what maps are those? :D

My trails app. On my cell phone.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Bait to me is shiners...

NH just opened this a few years back to land owners or by written permission. Plus in NH properties are legal unless posted. This equals their bait piles to you...;)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:57 pm

As usual, GREAT post magicman!! Real time northwoods mature buck travel documented for us to study and discuss....this even better than the gps collar studies from the U. of Pennsylvania! This is unique because you have Dan's bed hunting knowledge PLUS the rare insight that only a big woods tracker can have. Thanks for sharing that.

One of the key points I have taken from your big woods posts is that even the mature bucks are creatures of habit and patternable. He will use the same trails year after year.

My main goal as a bowhunter is to shoot a mature (4+yr old) northwoods buck, early season, at his bedding area. At this time, my best technique locating big woods buck bedding is to follow big tracks back to terrain features that would hold big bucks. It has proven to be a powerful method for me. My question is... has tracking big bucks allowed you to find where they bed? And if so, have you been able to pull off any good hunts based on that?

It seems to me that your spot "c" could be one of his favored bedding areas, as opposed to just a convenient resting place. I realize you were tracking him with intent to catch up and kill him so you did not spend a lot of time at this bedding area. But to me, it looks like a prototypical primary bedding spot for a big woods pig. Any thoughts on that?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”