Hill Country-Edge vs topo features

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hill Country-Edge vs topo features

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:24 am

My out of state-hill country pal had hand surgery so we skipped archery season altogether so far in the hills.

I'm looking at some maps and I cant tell if I should focus on edges, topo features, or both.

I have a feeling all the obvious funnels on topo's will be pressured by now, so Im looking at fingers and hubs mostly, and trying to find a couple that have edges on or near fingers or funnels.

Any tips here on what to focus on?

kurt

Re: Hill Country-Edge vs topo features

Unread postby kurt » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:04 am

Can vary by area exact terrain type and location especially for timing but I would say fingers and points or bedding in general the timing funnels/hubs is getting too late. I would look for thick bedding by the best food source. I do see rutting activity for second rut but not cruising type for funnels and hubs. Looking for thick bedding areas cyber scouting is tricky but big trees and lots of them are not good. I would say further back but that's not always true less obvious by road are good too especially if the road is low and they can "watch you"

nothing new here just stating the obvious. The tricky thing will be access with foilage or lack of. I would make a move in a.m. in the dark to get me to a spot of better access in the p.m. I might even sit a funnel but more so to pass time and just in case

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bwwma

Re: Hill Country-Edge vs topo features

Unread postby bwwma » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:52 pm

If you can find edges that converge with topo features that would be a plus. If you're looking at a usgs topo map the white areas either are currently and open area or were an open area that has grown up, those are areas of interest to me. Sounds like you have a good idea, just find edge features that join topo, not a bad blind idea.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”