Proximity of Bedding/Can I learn from this successful hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BuckyHunter13

Proximity of Bedding/Can I learn from this successful hunt?

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Let me start with my main question and then provide context - Does a young buck or a mature buck bed closer or further from food (if security is relatively comparable between two locations).

I shot a young (1.5yo?) basket 7 on some public with the rifle on Thursday. This buck was J-hooking into his bed when i first saw him. I wasn't hunting his bed specifically, though I was hunting the general area (marsh island surrounded a 4' deep creek) as holding a possible buck bed. I've only hunted this area 3 times and I've never scouted it. The bed is probably about 80-90% of the max distance from any parking/access/private/known stands. When thinking about where a mature buck is bedding, would you expect it to be further from the food/pressure (i.e. deeper in the marsh) or just in a more secure location such as adjacent to parking/entry or with a highly favorable wind (relative to pressure) and escape route. I'm sure this relationship varies based on the part of season, though I'm mostly thinking about from this point on. I plan to hunt/scout it through muzzleloader and maybe once or twice with the bow if I feel like I'm getting somewhere. I'd think it's peak pressure for wisconsin public land whitetails right now... The final day of rifle season is tomorrow and they've likely endured some final drives and holiday weekend hunters the last few days.

For what it's worth, this was a meat hunt. I haven't shot a deer the last two years and passed 8 or 9 2.5 and 3.5yo 8s and 9s with the bow, though I have high hopes for late season. Gun hunting is prohibited where I bow hunt, which I'm grateful for. It pained me to shoot a buck with good potential, but on public land and with tag soup growing old, I didn't hesitate. Plus, what this buck lacked in maturity he made up for in difficulty of retrieval. I had to cross the 4ft deep creek twice, once with the buck. My knee high rubber boots weren't much help. I warmed up on the mile long drag out of the woods (in my merino leggings :D).

It's been a good season so far but I'm itching to close the deal on one of 2 or 3 bucks I've set my sights on with the bow.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Proximity of Bedding/Can I learn from this successful hu

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:39 pm

A mature buck will bed where he feels secure over being close to food. It would be very difficult to read his mind, or know his experiences in two beds that are similar in both pressure and cover. Thats where scouting and throwing a stand at a spot and trying it comes in... What a 1.5 y/o does may or may not be what a big buck does. 1.5's are like a whole different animal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”