new hunter need scouting strategy last two weeks of seas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

twd000

Re: new hunter need scouting strategy last two weeks of seas

Unread postby twd000 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:32 am

found another potential spot today

There is a grass meadow mowed by the town, adjacent to Highway 101 (Greeley Highway)

In the past I have spotted a doe family group feeding in the meadow at dawn (on my trailcam). Today I pushed past the treeline separating the meadow from the marsh. The marsh is waist-high clumps of grasses, with a few maple trees. Perimeter is surrounded by dense honeysuckle and bittersweet cover. The blue creek is the southeast border of the marsh. There are heavy trails and beat-down beds in the marsh. Nothing used recently as there was still frost on all the bed substrates. No droppings that I could find. I did find droppings in the white pine area southwest of the marsh, and evidence of deer feeding on mushrooms.

Do you think this bedding area in the marsh is a good area to hunt? I plotted the windrose from the nearest airport so if I setup on the meadow/marsh treeline, my scent would be blowing into the marsh. I make so much damn noise coming in and setting up, I have serious doubts about my ability to sneak end-around through the woods without giving my presence away. Would you expect deer to use this as a daytime bedding area? Should I setup in early afternoon on the southeast edge of the marsh and hope to intercept a deer coming back to bed at sunset?

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:01 pm

twd, DONT dispair... 1st year guy on the b-squad also. Dont mind making mistakes because my learning curve is very encouraging. I'm struggling hunting public because of the pressure...Guess what? I'm already planning what to do next year. More places, knocking on doors(not me...but I'll get over it), journaling + video, ...
Season left is short but I'll keep at it. Cant shoot one on the couch, I hope toy keep at it while there is still time...go get 'em :D
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
twd000

Unread postby twd000 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:20 am

thanks for the encouragement and tips. I'll order Hill Country Bucks DVD and study it and this forum over the offseason.

Given the two weeks that I have remaining, what do you think is my best strategy to get on some deer? I guess what I'm looking for is the anti-beast tactics. Looking to find a high-traffic area with the dumbest immature deer in the woods, LOL! Should I sit over doe runs instead of buck beds? Funnels and pinch points? Morning hunts or evening hunts? Are rut tactics still applicable, or should I expect late-season deer to be pressured back into heavy cover?

Is there any point in trying some ground-hunting from a camp stool, or still hunting? Or is a tree stand ambush the only feasible tactic for a rookie?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”