Taking that next step and passing 2.5 year old bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Taking that next step and passing 2.5 year old bucks

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:53 am

I feel you buddy. I passed 26 bucks this year in KY before I took the one I was after. He's an older buck not sure, last year I ate tagsoup, which was the first year I had done that up there. One of the things that really helped me was all of us committing to 3.5+ up there. Everyone was given the option to take any buck that makes you happy for your first buck up there. After that it is 3.5+. Here in FL is a different story. I can kill a buck everyday if I can find one. Last year I passed a couple of young bucks. Having a freezer full of meat from my KY season makes that easier. But that said I haven't killed a buck in FL in 3 years now and I'm feeling the need to break the seal. Heading out in a couple of hours to meet a buddy and although I'm actually after a small hog if a young buck steps out he is done for.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:58 am

bowmike wrote:
As far as taking Corbin out next year. I am on the fence. If you guys have read my stuff from years back, I have really focused on his foundation. I am not one of those guys who goes out just to get there kid a kill. When I take him out I am constantly teaching him things. I will play It by ear.

My boys were the main thing that changed me from killing meat to going after the bigger older bucks. When they started hunting I was in the meat mode. We lived on it, literally. Deer, squirrels, rabbits, what ever I could kill and eat.

When my boys started hunting, it took the pressure off. They were more than happy to fill the freezor. I started being a little more selective.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:29 am

I wouldn't worry about letting your son kill a buck on your tag next year. Thinking back to that age, he will be just as happy to be with you when you shoot one. Get out and take him with and kill a doe with him. Not saying that for you to be selfish, just that he has a long road ahead of him, no need to race through every step.
Debo03

Unread postby Debo03 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:03 am

I think Dan's post was a very helpful post as this is something that I myself need to work on. I have a hard time hunting those low deer sighting areas where the chances of seeing a mature buck are greater just because of lack of confidence.

As for your situation I would suggest starting to carry a camera. I found as much satisfaction in capturing those 2 1/2 year olds on film inside bow range as I did killing them. Knowing that they were right there at my mercy and I'm choosing to aim the camera lens at them rather than my broadhead.

It's a lot of fun and makes it easier to pass those guys. Plus you have first hand footage to learn from as well as develop history with said buck which makes it even sweeter when you kill him at 3.5 or 4.5+.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:55 am

Did you see Dan's two year old buck he killed with his GUN this year????

I could never pass on a BIG buck like that.

But I can understand some guys choosing to pass on big bucks cuz they already have a bunch of big bucks on their wall.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:43 am

True, it is all about what we want out of the season.

The guys who says 160 inch or nothing, the guys who say they want a 3.5 yr old or better, and the guys who just wants to see and shoot something all respond differently.

I can pass spikes, 4 pts, and skinny bodied, small 6-8 pts all day long. Once a deer has a certain body size, I'm more likely to shoot as I'm out there primarily for meat. I passed a 150-160 pound 6 pt that I regret passing this past season - because he was 150-160 pounds, not due to the antlers.

This past year was a good learning year - If I don't have trail cam pics of larger bodied or antlered deer, I'm gonna shoot the first one I like and not hold out or wait for something that I do not know is there.

Taking a far out of state trip would involve raising standards as the area dictates...why shoot a 6 pt the first 6 days of the trip when there are plenty of larger bucks around?
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:32 am

Rich M.

You bring up a great point about the amount of meat. I used to think oh there isn't that much difference between a 1.5 and a 2.5-3.5 year old dear. Boy was I wrong. I can get roughly 45-50 out of a 1.5 year old. I got around 60 out of my buck, and 65 or more from the buck my brother in law shot. 15# may not seem like that much, but that is pretty much 15 extra meals I would get. Not if I eat tag soup and don't kill one, then that's 0 meals. I think I have it figured out that 2 decent sized deer will get me through the year, and any more than that and I will be giving away the meat. I plan on getting 2 doe tags for next year, and holding out on a buck. Come rifle season if I don't have 2 deer I may lower the standards as rifle to me is more about grocery shopping but I think I can hold out.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”