No mid-day hunt sightings

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

No mid-day hunt sightings

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:45 am

I have hunted to a 2-3 pm on several occasions this season, especially during the rut and I have not seen a single deer past 1030 or 11. One area I have sat is mainly a travel corridor but the others were near bedding and what I thought would be great all day movement areas.

Do you guys target specific areas that seem to get better 10-2 activity than other areas?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Kraftd
500 Club

Re: No mid-day hunt sightings

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:53 am

Mu mid day success has been in areas where I know bucks would have to move through looking for does. Either in or around doe bedding, or in funnels between doe bedding. That being said, not sure several times is enough to draw any conclusions really, so I'd just keep at it. My experience has been some locations are better mid-day than others, even if the set-up seems the same. Mid day is also a little less predictable than standard bed hunting or food source hunting early or late seasons. Idea is to just be in the woods as long as possible. If you aren't around does or on known travel corridors, you're out of the game too.

Move around and find the does if you have to. Even if you bump them, that will get them moving and could pull a buck back in, and the bucks know where the are, so even if they are bumped and out of the area, you could get bucks checking for them very easily, then you build intel for later.

Also, for me, mid-day has been MUCH more consistent last wee of October and more second to third week of November. We your area seems locked down, it can be days of long unproductive sits.
MN Slick

Unread postby MN Slick » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:22 am

I hunted many mid day hours from November 5-13 and never saw a deer after 10:30 in historically great mid day sets. Just wasn't much cruising this year where I was at. Trail cams revealed a few were up at mid day but not many. I'm finding that some years they just don't seem to cruise much during daylight. Hot and dead calm winds were surely part of the issue if not THE issue.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:55 am

MN Slick wrote:I hunted many mid day hours from November 5-13 and never saw a deer after 10:30 in historically great mid day sets. Just wasn't much cruising this year where I was at. Trail cams revealed a few were up at mid day but not many. I'm finding that some years they just don't seem to cruise much during daylight. Hot and dead calm winds were surely part of the issue if not THE issue.

Good point, was pretty darn warm over much of the midwest for the last month, daylight activity seemed to be way down for a lot of people I talked to.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:35 am

Good point about temps! Although it did make the site more comfortable...lol. One thing for sure, lone wolf seats are not conducive to long sits!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
johnsoninc86

Unread postby johnsoninc86 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:26 am

MN Slick wrote:I hunted many mid day hours from November 5-13 and never saw a deer after 10:30 in historically great mid day sets. Just wasn't much cruising this year where I was at. Trail cams revealed a few were up at mid day but not many. I'm finding that some years they just don't seem to cruise much during daylight. Hot and dead calm winds were surely part of the issue if not THE issue.

This was my exact same experience and conclusion for this season so far. Several of my areas that are normally crawling with mid-day cruisers were dead this year. Dead calm winds and warm mid-day temps was my made up excuse...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”