Deer hunting stories

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PEAKRUT

Deer hunting stories

Unread postby PEAKRUT » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:14 pm

It's that time of year throw me out some stories where you didnt even release an arrow or let a bullet fly. Why was it such a good hunt without a kill?

Thanks,
T

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Deer hunting stories

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:51 am

I have a tree on heavy pressure public I’ve nicknamed, “The Killing Tree.” In 2008 I hunted it for 90 minutes and shot a Michigan 8 point. In 2009 I hunted it for 13 minutes and shot another heavy pressure 8. The tree has two buck bedding areas within sight, a micro-island to the NW and another to the NE. I shot one buck on each island when they stood up in their bed. With a grand total of 103 minutes on stand and two bucks down, I’ve had no complaints about the spot.

Fast forward to this year… imagine my disappointment when I arrived and found the spot under water from beaver activity. Both islands were high and dry, but I would have to break ice to get to a tree where I could cover them. I had two different beavers slapping their tails at me from openings in the ice. Rather than give up, I decided to do my best imitation of a deer crossing the marsh to get to my stand tree. This would entail breaking ice to get there. Once on stand, I didn’t hold a lot of hope for the hunt despite my previous success. Low and behold, twenty minutes before dark on the island to the NW, I hear “KaWhock!!”. This was followed by scraping noises, and I realized that a buck had stood up and nailed a tree on the island and was rubbing it. He bought my ruse and was letting the other buck know he was there! Unfortunately, he never stepped out where I could see him. I also never grunted at him, as there was an excellent chance that I would see him without it… sometimes grunting gives you away on heavy pressure public too. But hindsight being 20/20 I wish I had grunted now.

It’s still a great spot, but will require new preparation to overcome the beaver/water obstacles.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:04 pm

My story is pretty similar to yours bridge. I was headed out to my spot only to find area flooded as well, from a combo of flooding earlier in the fall and beavers. I forgot my waders :? :roll: so couldnt get out that far. Set up on the ground and the deer was comin in. He got to 30 yds and was on the other side of the redbrush/ tall grass and i couldnt see him because its so thick. He starts tearin apart this brush scrapin gruting like crazy. It was gettin dark and he did this until past legal shooting, then he stepped out. The adrenalin was goin so bad i didnt even think to try gruntin at him. But it was fun gettin to witness that so close and he had no idea i was there.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:18 pm

I had a goal of filming a buck hunt this year .I was set-up in my pop-up blind next to a corn field in some thick cover.About a 1/2 hour b4 dark .A coyote stepped out right where i was expecting the buck .He let out a couple yelps and howls and continued on his way.I was pretty mad so I tore down my camera and ground blind,thinking the hunt was ruined.I was putting everything into the packs and bags .I should say I was throwing gear into the bags ,making a ton of noise.I was standing there staring at the ground making sure I packed everything up and I glanced up to look 1 more time at the spot where my big buck was suppose to be b4 the coyote messed it up.And standing broadside at 30 yards was HIM. He stood there like a statue staring off into the distance where the coyote just went .It was the exact spot where my camera had been pointed,same trail .It was if the buck was trailing the coyote .I tried to reach my bow but I always set it aside a ways when I,m packing up so I don,t step on it .So there I was bow 10 feet away Big Buck 30 yards away.He finally noticed me and trotted off .I,m still sick about it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”