Interesting story about an 18 pointer killer lovally

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Interesting story about an 18 pointer killer lovally

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Got to talking to a guy today at the gas pumps (he had a reconyx hat on so I figured him to be a hunter). He tells me about an 18 pointer his friend, a FIRST time hunter killed with a gun on his property this weekend. Interesting in that the Guy at the gas pump had been after this deer for 4 years to no avail. He had spent all season hunting in the part of his farm with corn, beans and foodplots. Where he sent his buddy to hunt, who like he said, had never hunted before was a blind they had built in the middle of field they hadn't planted this year and hadn't been hunting since they didn't think many deer would be around not having much food like in the other areas. Well guess what walks out for the new guy on his first sit in the blind that was in a spot that wasn't any good??? The 18 pointer! Guy shoots it dead. With a gun of course...may have been a diff story with bow but re moral of the story dovetails with Dan's previously stated theories on mature bucks not always being in the so called "best places to hunt" but being in the places where they aren't getting bothered!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BowHusker

Re: Interesting story about an 18 pointer killer lovally

Unread postby BowHusker » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:21 pm

It also dovetails Dan's other comments about some of these young hunters who get stuck in the "less than desirable" spots and kill a giant! Big mature bucks are a different species almost.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Was the guy happy for his buddy or was he telling the story through gritted teeth?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:04 pm

going to bed w/ a big grin :lol:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:18 pm

8-)
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:35 pm

So awesome.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:13 am

Let's stick Joe where there are no deer! LOL! :doh:

Kudos tot he guy who got the deer - first time, didn't make a bad shot - got it done!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:55 am

Exactly.
Only thing predictable is that they are unpredictable!!! :doh:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:31 am

I think he was happy for the guy but obviously mixed feelings. I know I would have mixed feelings about it if a newbie shot a buck I had been after for 4 years. I wouldn't been mad at the hunter...more mad at myself or just mad...but I'm self-centered so it's hard to not be.

My main point with the story is about the buck being where the hunters, the experienced hunters were not because they had most likely over hunted their area.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Dont bring a guy hunting unless you expect him to shoot if he sees something. Always be happy for a guy who is successful. Its just deer hunting, not life & death. Its supposed to be fun. I have stopped hunting with a few people over the years who made it not fun unless they were the ones shooting. Mike
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:02 am

It's strange.

I would be interested in others experience as new hunters on their first couple of sits.

I started hunting at 40 yrs old. I saw a doe at 50 yds after I left my gun on the other side of the ridge and was walking around in a very low density spot my first sit.

And my very next hunt, same spot, the doe (or another) was in heat (or almost) and I saw her and 3 other bucks of which two were monsters and the other which I shot was a good sized 3 yr old 7 or 8 pointer. I saw all the other deer after I shot my buck (and was waiting 2 hours-only to later find out it was a bad hit because I hit the edge of a tree in front of him and I had passed all those other deer in the meantime) and was walking around that area like I was on a hike. Every animal was seen within 40-50 yards. One at 10.

In 5 seasons of hunting and countless hunts I've never experienced another hunt remotely as substantial as on that one. I always wonder if a non-hunter or new hunter doesn't emit the same predatory signals that an experienced one does.

Do the deer perceive the same danger? I did everything wrong on both those first hunts but I was running into deer every 30 minutes on average. I figured this deer hunting the Bigwoods was going to be a piece of cake.

I'll start another thread. "Recounting your first couple of hunts as a new deer hunter"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”