What do you make of this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lewis1303

What do you make of this?

Unread postby Lewis1303 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:57 am

I was sitting Monday morning a couple hundred yards from my brother-in-law overlooking bedding. Around 7:30 my brother-in-law starts shooting at a buck. Not long after his final shot a doe and two fawns came from his direction sneaking along behind me heading for the bedding area. They weren't running at all. Just steadily moving along. As they approached the bedding area, the doe did a quick u turn and came running back out heading back into the direction they came from. Wind was in my favor and there was nobody out in the marsh to spook her from upwind. The other thing I found interesting was that the doe was panting when she did that u turn. Except for that short little u turn, she was walking the entire time I saw her. I just wonder if anyone had an idea what could have spooked her and why she would be panting like that. She only ran maybe 30 yards after her u turn. I didn't think she was tired from running. Is it possible there was a buck in the bedding area?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"Back in the old days if a man shot a deer he was considered a good hunter. Today if he shoots a deer it is said he has a good deer blind." Some unknown old time Yooper!
Rich M
500 Club

Re: What do you make of this?

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:33 am

Sounds plausible.

I had a doe, fawn, and spike feeding in a field. Suddenly they bunch together and leave rather quickly. About 2-3 minutes later, 2 bucks come out of a bottom about 150 yards from the field and head in that direction...I shot 2nd one so don't know for sure if that's where they were going.

How the doe knew the bucks were coming is incredible to me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”