buck reactions to pressure on various lands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

buck reactions to pressure on various lands

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:05 am

What is your experience with bucks or deer in general when you have a property that is maybe moderately pressured, bow only, that is surrounded by higher pressured properties with gun hunting....do you see deer migrating to the less pressured "quieter-non gun" area or do they tend to stay where they are and just alter movement and maybe go more nocturnal? If they move, how long does this take?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Southern Man
500 Club

Re: buck reactions to pressure on various lands

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:48 am

Not quite the same as what you're asking but ....... I had a small lease a few years back of 60 acres. It had alot of hunting pressure all around it. I pretty much hunted only the edges and not in the center of the property. I could access those spots easily and didn't have to walk across the farm at all. When gun season rolled around, deer poured into my farm, into the very center of it. And it was almost immediate. I didn't pressure the center of the farm and the deer felt safe there.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Debo03

Unread postby Debo03 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:56 am

I think the biggest question in your scenario is "Are all other things equal"?

For example, is there good cover on your property? If your property is Cut soy beans with Fence rows I seriously doubt that deer are going to retreat to your property just because you aren't firing guns at them.

Same goes for food, water, bedding (buck and doe)

The next biggest question is how much pressure are you putting on them? Just because you are "Bow only", are you stomping through every inch of your property ever week? There's a good chance that the deer will associate your human scent to "DANGER" because of all of the gun shots going on around you.

But if all things above are equal and you are intentionally trying not to put too much pressure on your property I would say yes deer will absolutely retreat to your place.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:46 am

Debo03 wrote:I think the biggest question in your scenario is "Are all other things equal"?

For example, is there good cover on your property? If your property is Cut soy beans with Fence rows I seriously doubt that deer are going to retreat to your property just because you aren't firing guns at them.

The next biggest question is how much pressure are you putting on them? Just because you are "Bow only", are you stomping through every inch of your property ever week? There's a good chance that the deer will associate your human scent to "DANGER" because of all of the gun shots going on around you.

But if all things above are equal and you are intentionally trying not to put too much pressure on your property I would say yes deer will absolutely retreat to your place.

Yep

mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:34 am

Lockdown wrote:
Debo03 wrote:I think the biggest question in your scenario is "Are all other things equal"?

Yep

As noted by SM. I have stuck to the edges and avoiding putting too much pressure on however it does get human pressure wth neighbor's and kids tresspassing and walking through the woods I think. This has been going on for years and I think the deer may be fairly used to that.

But I also was just thinking of this in comparison to other areas as well. And yes, all else being equal in food, cover, etc.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:53 am

mheichelbech wrote:......... however it does get human pressure wth neighbor's and kids tresspassing and walking through the woods I think. This has been going on for years and I think the deer may be fairly used to that.

I had an unusual situation this year. One property I hunt, the landowner continually rides a 4 wheeler around a field that sits in the center of the farm. The woods on the east is a bedding area and has been for years. On cameras we have got pics of her continuously this year to a point I didn't really want to go out there, even though it has held good bucks over the years. So I haven't been. Until Sunday. I got in my set around 12:0 - 1:00 and seen deer all afternoon. 5 different bucks, 1 of which was a 3.5 yo and around 20 - 25 does. None of the deer were leary of walking out and looked pretty much at ease. I was amazed. She has hammered this property with her 4 wheeler and truck, even at night (she's something else, that's for sure). I didn't really expect to she much of anything. But there's been no hunting pressure on that property until I went Sunday. But, there's been hunting pressure all around it.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:35 am

I wonder how big does an area need to be such that a buck will take safe harbor there? Assuming there is thick cover, adequate food, etc?

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:10 am

I don't think the area has to be very big at all if the buck feels safe there. That's the key in my opinion. Granted if there's a choice between a large area or a small overlooked spot, the larger area may be chosen but you never know. I don't think adequete food is an issue either. Food can be found at night. Security in the day from hunting pressure or disturbance would make the difference in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”