Hunt elevation or transition??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jpsmith270

Hunt elevation or transition??

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:14 am

How would you all go about hunting this small piece of property? Would you hunt it like hill country or like flat ground? This is a representation of much of the land where I hunt in SC. It has "hills" but relatively flat compared to true hill country and relatively hilly when compared to true flat terrain. Hopefully that makes sense!

Thanks in advance for any pointers. I am not sure whether to focus my attention on terrain (funnels, corners, etc) or on elevation, or maybe even both.

I hunted this property last night for the first time and I hunted a funnel, but was messed up by another hunter that decided to come in and ran the deer off about an hour before dark. Anyways.........

I have included a pic of the topo and one with the same topo with aerial overlayed. I will be scouting this property following our season which ends in January.

Thanks again for the help.

jpsmith270

Re: Hunt elevation or transition??

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:23 am

Here's another one showing the boundary.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:03 am

Both... But my bets would be placed on elevation over transition on that map.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:51 am

Looks to me like you have a lot of good terrain features that line up with transitions on the map. Probably start with that and some scouting.
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:16 am

dan wrote:Both... But my bets would be placed on elevation over transition on that map.

Ok....thanks. I was having a hard time determining this for myself when much of the land that I hunt is really neither true hill country or true flatland.

This helps me greatly as I try to learn more and implement more of your tactics.

Thanks for all you do for the common hunter!
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:18 am

Kraftd wrote:Looks to me like you have a lot of good terrain features that line up with transitions on the map. Probably start with that and some scouting.

Thank you. I thought this small tract offered some great features when I pulled it up. I am still trying to learn the Beast way of hunting. I am looking forward to learning this property a little more once the season goes out.
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:46 am

dan wrote:Both... But my bets would be placed on elevation over transition on that map.

Would this still be the elevation line you would scout/hunt or do you think between here and the 600' level? I didn't know if it would change at all since it is a little flatter than true hill country.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”