Question regarding going in blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ehavs

Question regarding going in blind

Unread postby ehavs » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:56 am

Went out this past weekend and took a stab at going in blind. Below is a map of where I hunted and why I chose it.

Red dot is where I hunted
Blue arrow is direction of wind (South wind)
Areas in red: You will see one is a swamp and the others to the north east were some pine trees

My logic going in was to find a north facing funnel point considering it was a southerly wind. I figured this spot had some good transition areas as well considering the thick pines and the swamp. After going in I saw some buck sign were I had intended to set up so figured it was worth a shot.

You will also see a blue spot in the south east corner. This is where some other hunter shot and killed a nice buck.
This area typically has a prevailing NW wind. Which made that spot where the deer was taken the most likely spot to go. It has those nice points along with the deep ravines which from what I gather on the knowledge that you share on this site a great rut funnel. I was torn on whether to head on in to this spot but chose the northern location considering it was a south wind.

So here in lies my question... During the rut AND gun season do you still play the wind you have for that day and choose the funnel that best suits that wind for the day and hope for the best going in blind. Or would it have made more sense for me to choose the southern points of this mountain and go with the prevailing wind even though that was not the wind of the day. Obviously hindsight being 20/20 it's easy to second guess yourself after seeing what was taken but I was torn on this decision before I chose where I was going to go. Sorry if this question is rather simple to answer. Newbie here who is trying to soak all this info in.

Thanks

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Question regarding going in blind

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:42 am

I like it... anything traveling the southern corridor is coming above that nasty ditch and right passed your stand somewhere. They are pretty forced to.. that sucker looks STEEP.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”