Possible Ohio trip...asking for input.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeReaper

Possible Ohio trip...asking for input.

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:53 am

So I've never travelled out of state to bowhunt. Living in PA, Ohio is a no brainer for a good first trip. I have never even been to Ohio other than passing through a couple times so is there any areas I should concentrate on? I'll be hunting public so I'd like to find a decent sized tract where I can scout it a bit maybe in April. Any other info is welcomed and appreciated!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Re: Possible Ohio trip...asking for input.

Unread postby csoult » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:04 am

Wayne National is huge and holds good deer.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:37 am

I've talked to a few guys...most all said the farther from PA the better...many Luke the SE part...

I haven't done it myself...I was going to this season but opted for my Michigan trip instead. Love bow hunting but i love hunting the big woods better...after 6+ weeks grinding in PA I've had enough of sitting in a tree with a bow...lol.

fatfish

Unread postby fatfish » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:11 pm

I live in northern ohio and have shotgun hunted south east ohio for over 20 years. haven't hunted south in about 5 years.always hunted wayne national forest property,around corning .burr oak state park is close to a lot of hunting areas,and the park rangers could help you with maybe a map of area or you could call ohio dnr or e mail.there is a lot of public hunting around there and it is rough country to hunt, but it holds a lot of deer . it takes a lot of scouting and map reading to figure out what areas hold deer. its a young mans game down in the hills.you have to get away from the crowds but there are areas in the wayne that receive no hunting pressure.just to hard to get in and get out for average hunters.but if your a beast you will do well. it took us 3 or 4 years to really produce deer. and areas change so you have to start all over and find new spots to hunt.its a lot of work . but there are some nice deer in that area. good luck
PeteA

Unread postby PeteA » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:10 pm

I've been thinking the same thing. I was looking around the Athens area on Google maps last night.

jdeer96

Unread postby jdeer96 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 pm

I've lived in SE Ohio for the past 3 years and hunted different areas each year. From my experience the farther away from any camping or lodging the better, because most of the pressure during bow is from out of state hunters. Also the Wildlife Areas seem to get pounded, Wayne and some State land are usually better. There are also some coal mine and AEP grounds but I have no experience with those. I hunted 5 or 6 different tracts this year without ever seeing another hunter or even parked vehicle... But a lot of time was spent finding those spots... Cyber scouting saves a lot of time. Definitely have to burn up some boot rubber each of my hunts this year were hour plus walk one way. Getting access from landowners on the backside can also be killer. If you scout and are willing to walk really far up and down hills... You will have no problem getting on bucks down here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:29 am

fatfish wrote:I live in northern ohio and have shotgun hunted south east ohio for over 20 years. haven't hunted south in about 5 years.always hunted wayne national forest property,around corning .burr oak state park is close to a lot of hunting areas,and the park rangers could help you with maybe a map of area or you could call ohio dnr or e mail.there is a lot of public hunting around there and it is rough country to hunt, but it holds a lot of deer . it takes a lot of scouting and map reading to figure out what areas hold deer. its a young mans game down in the hills.you have to get away from the crowds but there are areas in the wayne that receive no hunting pressure.just to hard to get in and get out for average hunters.but if your a beast you will do well. it took us 3 or 4 years to really produce deer. and areas change so you have to start all over and find new spots to hunt.its a lot of work . but there are some nice deer in that area. good luck

This /\ /\

I'll add , there are big deer on public there but you will work for it to be in the game consistently. Private land that borders are often baited so keep that in mind. I would consider an early spring scouting trip and possibly a pre rut hunt . Mid to late October. Ive seen some nice bucks the last two years and much closer to a road or parking than you'd think. November 1st those easy spots WILL get pressure so be prepared to look for more secluded bedding.
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 am

Everyone is spot on with what they are saying. I have excess to some private land near Portsmouth, Oh. There are some true giants to be had down there. It defiantly takes some scouting and map reading to figure it out. I have never stepped foot on the public around there, but I have talked with a few guys at the hotel we stay at who hunt the state and national forest around there. They say the same thing too. There's big bucks around you just have to get away from the people. It is hard work climbing up and down those hills but its defiantly worth it if you connect with a stud.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:44 am

I haven't been there but I have done a ton of research and I really don't think you can go wrong anywhere central to southern OH so long as you are willing to stay mobile, give up on ground that doesn't pan out, work hard, think outside the box and have reasonable expectations.

If you think it will be easy to shoot something over 130" just because it is the Midwest, you will likely be in for a reality check.

From what I understand the northern section of the state for the most part has fewer deer but still some super studs around and some pockets of better deer numbers in certain areas.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”