Where's the love-etiquette (lost duck hunters)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Where's the love-etiquette (lost duck hunters)

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:00 pm

Im not whining, more confused. Ill set this up...

IM on my stand for the night sit. Seeing deer in trhis area, but figure I need to move 20-25 yds east to get closer for a possible shot.forgot to say Im in public. About 3:30 I start to hear 2 guys taking and walking in. Now I realize they have every right to be there as I do. OK, so I sit tight because they might bump something past me. They circle me counterclockwise from the backsiide and they have on orange so I can see them the whole time. They end up below me straight in front at 40 yds max.This whole scenario is not what upset me, it was when they started shooting at nothing in particular...talking LOUD the whole time.I felt like screaming at them!!!

I was told that even though this is public, some townies think its their land and I might get "pushed" out. I was'nt sure what was going on so I held my tongue. I could'nt believe they could not see a totally orange guy in a tree. I could easily see them...I preceded to get out and tear down and they finally walked up the hill and approached. We had the usual small talk and I found out they had no clue I was ther even though I was parked in the same spot they parked in. They where just duck hunters looking for a spot cutting through the woods. What do you do?
On the bright side...I figured out how the deer were moving with a NW wind in this spot so i could correct my stand, and I was'nt an idiot in the end.

Simular stories or experiences? Be safe out there :D

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
wihunter

Re: Where's the love-etiquette (lost duck hunters)

Unread postby wihunter » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:35 pm

When i meet people in parking lot i try to ask general direction they are going to let them know i'll go to another part of property. I also try to give people a wide berth when i see people in stand already. Problem i have is people with ground blinds. Thought they aren't supposed to be left out there, but it happens. Do you give up a good spot not knowing if someone is in there?
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:45 pm

thanx wihunter... Im just an average guy and make mistakes. I m lucky enough to have a few publics very close so if I see a cr or cars in the parking lot I dont even stop. I want others to have the same outings I get. We're all in this together :D
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:26 pm

I avoid other hunters at all cost. I might talk a little back at the truck, but im really stand offish. In the woods, im avoiding being detected by other hunter as much as i am by the deer, even when scouting. Only time id say anything is f they shot in my direction.
Its not that im super secretive or anything, i just dont care for intrusions on my "experience". Lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Im sick of people thinkin public land is "their" spot. If i see a guy sitin where i wana go i will concede the spot to them...they were there first. But when im sittin there first and someone tells me im in their spot i wont have it anymore. I used to give in and say to myslef "its not worth it" now i wont back down even if it means a wasted hunt

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:31 pm

I've had my fair share of run ins with these types as well having grown up in the south metro....

Definitely don't feel intimidated by anyone that "claims" any spots, keep the DNR officers for the area on speed dial if you need to escalate a situation to them.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:09 am

If these guys are strolling through there chances are pretty good others are doing the same. When this happens to me I try to analyze the situation. First question I ask myself, is this a random coincidence or does this spot see a lot of people traffic other than me? If I don't see other Hunter sign and the buck sign is telling me I'm in his staging area I assume this is just one unlucky occurrence and I'll hunt it again at a later date. If it's a blind hunt, I see other people sign or the deer sign isn't what I expected I'll move on and probably never hunt it again. Don't forget, bucks are going to be where people never or very seldom go. Even does for that matter will only put up with so much intrusion before they relocate. It may not be far but they will adjust.

I'm not typically going to confront anybody. If someone else is there I know the odds have gone way down that I'm going to find a nice buck there so I move on. Simple as that. If you get upset every time another Hunter blows your hunt, you're going to have a lot of bad days. Seek out the spots where other guys don't want to put in the work to get to.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:21 am

you guys are spot on... thanks for talking me off the ledge. I thought about what I posted yesterday and came up with the conclusion that I can still hunt these publics but I have to cross some water. I also have to learn to knock on some doors, too. It's my first year w/bow , first year in So. Mn., different terrain. Really came a long way this year, still some season left, how cool is that???

Thanks again beasts :handgestures-thumbupright:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:47 am

A number of years back, I was hunting with a guy and he decided it was time to start shooting stuff with a 22. I walked out to the road and there is the local game warden. I unloaded my gun and walked over to him. He gave us both a warning instead of a citation because of my behavior as opposed to my buddy who was still in the woods busting off shots.

I just remembered one - hunting quota area and had a guy come in, not see me and go to pee under my stand. Was funny at the time and still is. I left after he moved on through and saw the only deer I would see that hunt - 30 yards from the parking spot - they were crossing from the area I was hunting to the opposite side of the road...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”