Are you a hunter or someone who hunts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waymore

Are you a hunter or someone who hunts

Unread postby Waymore » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:49 pm

I was shooting my bow and the neighbor said he didn't know I was a hunter which I said I'm really not just someone who hunts. I love this site and the more I learn and hear the stories and tactics I realize I am not much of a hunter compared to many others here. I have a lot of respect for you guys as hunting the way Dan teaches is extremely difficult. Unlike other hobbies like sports hunting is an all or nothing. Sure you can get lucky once in a while or have prime private property but to kill a mature buck on a consistent basis is requires so much dedication which quite honestly I don't have. It's more the time factor than anything else. I feel the truehunters are in a very small class.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

john1984

Re: Are you a hunter or someone who hunts

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:08 pm

I asked a similar question one time. Here's the link viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25991

Most guys here do NOT kill mature bucks consistently.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:14 pm

A real hunter is anyone who conducts themselves in an ethical and honest manner, and the amount of respect and admiration they have for the tradition that is hunting. Atleast, that is my opinion.
Big bucks, lots of time in the field, zealously honing the craft, those dudes are a subculture. Hahaha

crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:23 pm

"all or nothing"

I disagree. My closest spot is 2.5 hours away and most are a 4 hr drive and I still manage to kill some decent deer on public with limited time and no scouting.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:26 pm

There's hunters, then there's deer hunters, then there's trophy hunters, then there's antler addicts. All of these are hunters.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:48 pm

There's a lot of philosophy written about why we hunt. We are all hunters it's in our DNA

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:02 pm

Hardcore nature watcher

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:02 pm

I think I love the scouting more than hunting. Finding new areas and trying to logically figuring it out. That hasn't gone so well lol. The in season scout and being able to shift gears on what was supposed to be to what is. As before that didn't turn out well. With both statements of not turning out so well I'm determined to change that. I will learn what makes my herd tick. I will learn how to stay on older bucks.

Wether it's in my dna or something that's a distant chromosome, I want to be successful as a hunter. Everyday someone contributes on here I learn. Everyone's success stories fuel me to wanting to join everyone every year.

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:16 pm

I think Mark Drury hit on this topic some. Agree or not he says there are people who hunt, there are hunters, then there are killers. I doubt there are many people searching for knowledge that brings them to a sight like the beast who aren't hunters, but the killers are the elite, the guys who put in most any hunting situation are going to make their own success. I think we have many killers gracing this website and I'm happy they allow someone like myself the opportunity to learn from them.
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:24 am

Hawthorne wrote:There's a lot of philosophy written about why we hunt. We are all hunters it's in our DNA

Sounds like you've read Gene Wendell "come november"??

Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:56 am

crankn101 wrote:"all or nothing"

I disagree. My closest spot is 2.5 hours away and most are a 4 hr drive and I still manage to kill some decent deer on public with limited time and no scouting.

Sounds like my situation except I'm going through a long drought and beginning to question my sanity.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:07 am

There's definitely a difference in how serious different people take hunting....but at the end of the day we are all hunters.

I take hunting pretty serious..and it's a sick addiction...I don't personally know anyone that goes at it like I do.

But there's people on here that go at it even harder than I do..

I've never killed a big buck. But I'm working to change that...

You say hunting the beast way is harder and requires more time...I don't agree with that... initially yes it sure does...and sometimes"getting there" is far more difficult...but after a few seasons you should have more spots and better spots than ever....after that, as long as the land doesn't change or someone else finds your spots you can hunt those spots and be on deer in the future. Every year I scout a new piece or 2 and add a couple more spots to the list...

Once you figure things out you can go in blind too...my Michigan hunting this week proved that pretty well....I wasn't successful in filling a tag...but, I was successful in seeing deer every day i hunted and in the evenings I was picking spots based on maps and walking to buck beds in the dark...

I was able to still hunt from buck bed to buck bed. Land Ive never ever stepped foot on and put myself on deer...

So, I wasn't successful in filling a tag...but I feel a huge sense of success in the fact I drove 9 hours to land I never stepped foot on and was on deer...

Had I had the insight that the weather was going to play against me and hunter pressure wasn't going to be a factor I would have hunted differently from day 1...but I am armed with knowledge for next time and have a GPS full of Intel...

Without the knowledge from this site and the DVDs I'd probably been on the struggle bus...I probably wouldn't have taken on this adventure...

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:09 am

Ol'DanBoone wrote:A real hunter is anyone who conducts themselves in an ethical and honest manner, and the amount of respect and admiration they have for the tradition that is hunting. Atleast, that is my opinion.

I agree here. A hunter is based not on what he kills, but how he goes about it. A kid that kills any game whether it is a button buck/fawn, or a 10 point B&C within the laws is a hunter. A guy that shines a field with his truck and shoots the deer out of his truck with a crossbow/gun after hours is not.

The biggest one of all for me though is the respect a hunter has for anti hunters. Some anti hunters seem to be a different breed. If you are face to face with an anti hunter and they are screaming, pushing, shoving, verbally attacking you, and you keep your cool and respect them, in my opinion your are the ULTIMATE hunter. And you have already won in every aspect of life.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:56 am

Ol'DanBoone wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:There's a lot of philosophy written about why we hunt. We are all hunters it's in our DNA

Sounds like you've read Gene Wendell "come november"??

Yes have the book. Read that and it sounded good to me. Lol

seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:46 am

IMO,a "hunter' is someone who thinks about hunting year 'round. Scouting...checking,improving,buying gear...In bowhunting - maybe practices all year. 3D?...

Before I joined an archery club (3D ranges,etc) I saw the guys "who hunt" when I'd stop by the local pubic archery range to shoot a few arrows on autumn days when I didn't have time to hunt. They first get their bow out of storage in mid-October. Shoot a few arrows - half of which hit the "pie plate" at 20yds - say "good enough" and go home.

They don't hunt Sundays 'cuz'a football.

Lots of guys "who hunt" out today. Gun season opener...They gun hunt only and only a few days during the season.

Hunting is not life. I'd never look down on guys "who hunt" but don't make it a life focus. Some rarely shoot anything....But I'd disagree with the term "hunter" connoting anything connected to ethics. I know one guy who has lost his WDNR license privilege yet again. Hunting and fishing is THE focus of his life yet he just can't seem to follow the rules. Big racks and big fish (and the recognition from "bragging rights") are truly an addiction. He IS a hunter and fisherman and a very skilled one at that....and one day he will do substantial jail time because he just has no ethical restraints in harvesting big bucks or gamefish....and I'd be willing to be some on here would know who I'm talking about if I got more specific. To my knowledge he's never been on this site but in regards to bucks and "fish" he's been an attention hound for years....I will add that individual doesn't (to my knowledge) roadhunt. His MO for deer hunting violations is publicly owned land not open to hunting.

My point is if hunting is a major life focus,you're a "hunter". You make sacrifices to hunt.... If it's not really important to you in a big way but you still occasionally hunt,you aren't really a "hunter" but you sometimes go hunting. You'd never really make any substantial sacrifices for hunting.

I bowl but I'm not a bowler...as evidenced by the last two games I bowled last night....and I don't really care that my wife kicked my ---. She's a "bowler"....when I kicked HERS a few weeks ago she was not really happy...because I'm not a bowler....My bowling ball has the image of a big buck on it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”