Adapting to conditions.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

Adapting to conditions.

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:20 am

Dan told me once that beast hunting is not just bed hunting but hunting using many methods to match the situation. Wis hunters are facing a test this rifle opener. Most have picked a stand or method based on normal conditions. Dropping temps and wind gusts up to 40 mph.and snow are forcast. What do you do now????? Do you just stick to your plan and hope for the best? If not how will you adapt?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Adapting to conditions.

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:28 am

Tomorrow with out snow, son and I are going to the deer.

Will take all day to set up maybe 2 or at best 3 spots. He sits exit trails where I know bucks have blown out on me in the past with current wind direction, while I try and sneak up on the bed.

Maybe by noon we both have our tags filled...... :lol:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:50 am

I'll be sitting lower and dressing warmer. Opening day brings a lot of opportunity to the table. There will be plenty of cold hunters walking around.

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:15 am

Those conditions for a long sit ....Low , thick and Leeward . Heater Body Suit .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:23 am

Little under a foot of snow in MN right now, I'm sending it your way.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:42 am

headgear wrote:Little under a foot in MN right now, I'm sending it your way.

I'm quite a ways South of Headgear and we've got 6-8" and it's NASTY. White out conditions.

I would be heading for the thickest of the thick.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:09 am

E72 wrote:Those conditions for a long sit ....Low , thick and Leeward . Heater Body Suit .

If I had the orange for it, I would be packing it. I'll be IWOMin tomorrow

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:25 am

Its funny you bring this up... I was just thinking about this very same topic. Being the day before the gun opener everybody in the company where I work has been over to ask a question or make a statement about deer hunting. Ask them where there hunting, or what there plan is, and most often they draw a map and point out where there stand is... The same one they sit every year. Ask em what wind direction, they don't know. They are sitting that spot no matter what wind, what weather condition, etc...

I generally decide where and how I will hunt the day im hunting...

Next two days will be drives on public for me... After that I play the stand / wind game and try to kill a big buck. Even though the drives are the same ones we always do, wind direction has a lot to do with stander position and when, where, and direction of drivers.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:34 am

Up to 14 inches now, 20+ way up north. My old man might be snowed in at the hunting shack for the winter. :mrgreen:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:41 am

Gonna be 80 down here. I'd really prefer to be playing in the snow with you guys...
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Well today is a gun day here in Illinois and I wanted to be in the woods. I had a bad day at work.

The front came through, wet,quiet but no tag. I recognized that most archery guys won't be out on a local spot, so it was scouting time.

It is not a marsh but I came across a little cattail and isolated small trees in an open crp type area. The most used trail went past a small line of trees at a 90 degree angle. With a few minutes of laying over dead weeds I am set for a 25 yard shot to the trail. My tree is a 8 inch persimmon and will be about 7 ft up. South wind spot.
Adapt and recognize opportunities as best you can.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:28 pm

For me, I'll be 20ft up on top of a hardwood ridge facing south looking over 50yds of prickly ash and thornapple trees to a fencline and then the nieghbors 120 acre hay field beyond.. I'm thinking the wind will be West or North or somewhere in between which is good. Deer usually get pushed out of a swamp to the south east of me and come peeling across that big open field right to me. Sure, I run the risk of getting wiffed but the wind has to be in their favor or they will not come to me. Besides by the time they smell me, the crosshairs will be on em.

The wind will be a pain but I'm in a big hickory tree so it won't move much I hope. I just hope we don't get rain tonight that switches to snow. That will make for some god awfull slippery stands in the morning. If that's the case it will be plan "B" . A preset,brushed in pop up in some thick pines on the other end of the farm.

Good luck to all Wisconsin Gunners tomorrow and be Safe!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:05 pm

No tree stand for me. Fresh snow and strong wind are perfect for tracking and still hunting. I'm going to make something happen instead of waiting and hoping.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”