How was Virginia for you.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TreeRat

How was Virginia for you.

Unread postby TreeRat » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:12 am

This year for me was way off. The deer were not where they usually were in Richmond county. I also did not see deer in fields (along I95)that where usually full of them. then the rut was a big dud for me and left me wondering what I did wrong.
However in Northern Virginia I had a great season.
How has you season in Virginia been for you?

huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: How was Virginia for you.

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:20 pm

Tell us about your hunt in Northern VA, we'd love to hear it!!!! Pics too!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:39 pm

I have hunted the same area for about 10 years now. The overall deer kill has dwindled down to about 50%-60% of what it was even 6-8 years ago. I am not complaining because I am blessed to have a place to hunt and I actually think it helps the overall herd. My set-ups were fantastic this year thanks to the input and advice from many quality hunters on this site and others. I hunt public land and it sure was a lot of fun this year, but I did not accomplish my goal of taking my first truly mature buck(4.5+ years). I was within range of 8-10, 2.5 year old bucks but I let them walk. I saw two, 3.5 year olds within 30 minutes of one another the first week of November but they were around 40 yards away and out of range. I would say 85% of my hunts I saw deer, and nearly every time I saw deer they were within bow range.

Treerat, how did your hunting go in NOVA? There are some bigger/older bucks up in Fairfax in the suburbs. For some reason I cannot bring myself to hunt in those spots because I am darn obsessed about killing a mature public land buck. I may never win....lol
TreeRat

Unread postby TreeRat » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:50 am

The story is I saw this buck with a group of smaller bucks 6, 4 and I think I saw a nice 8 on Monday morning. It was raining and the temps where in the 40s a great morning to stalk but he just didn’t give me a shoot. Now on Wednesday morning I told myself I will take a doe if I don’t see sign of him. I found the does first and made my way over to them to get a shoot from in the woods out. While I was stalking them though the woods I bump some small does out. I then came across a big bed much bigger than any of the does. That’s when I heard a noise behind me. The 10 and a nice 8 ran out of the woods into the field whit the does it looked like they were going to run to the woods on the other side but the does moved down the woods line about 45 yards and were working their way back in. The bucks also followed. I feel the does knew I was there but not a treat it took me a hour to make my way over to them. The 10 was hiding behind a tree with no shoot .Just when I thought he was going to blow out of there he just turn walking away and stopped. I had him at 23 yds I took a deep breath and squeezed the trigger. He went 60yds and dropped

The fridge is to keep the deer cold while I am at work. That's way hes feet are cut off.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:37 am

Sweet! What's up with his nose? It looks white.....
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”