I'd rather kill a big buck? Poll

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Big Buck Or Any buck?

A. I am out to kill a big racked buck.
47%
B. I am out to kill an older mature buck, rack size doesn't matter.
38%
C. I am out to kill any buck, age/rack size doesn't matter.
12%
D. If it's brown it's down, meat hunter here.
3%

Total votes: 113
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

I'd rather kill a big buck? Poll

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:49 am

The other thread got me to thinking about this. For the most part is a big buck what you would prefer to kill? We can all say we hunt for the experience, but you can get all the same experience with a camera instead of a weapon. :think: So the options are based on guys actually hunting. Should be interesting.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
TNstalker

Re: I'd rather kill a big buck? Poll

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:55 am

I choose B bc most of the time in my area mature deer will have a big or pretty nice rack. Plus older buck is a trophy regardless of the rack to me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:03 am

I chose A.

I am actually out to kill a big racked buck. But it's not a do or die situation. It just depends on the moment, but just not any buck will do.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:04 am

Size matters to me but I can't remember ever passing on one that was 4 or older. I did contemplate one for a bit as he was only about 120 inches but decided to pull the trigger. The areas I hunt offer few opertunities at bucks 4 or older. If two deer ran up to me at the same time and one was older with a small rack and the other was younger but with a bigger rack I would shoot the bigger rack every time. This kinda happened to me in minn this year. Two bucks followed a doe right to me. The younger one had great antlers but what made me shoot the older one was the fact that the younger one was probably only 3 and he didn't carry the mass yet. He will be a dandy in a year or 2.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:10 am

I voted B based on the choices, but part of that is that any mature deer is probably going to have the rack size that would make me happy. I'm not at the 140/150 or bust stage of life yet!

As I mentioned on the other thread though, my primary goal is meat, which I'll generally look to does to get if the heard at a spot can take it, otherwise no issues taking a young small racked buck if that makes more sense in a given year or spot. This is also with having two IL buck tags and a WI buck tag. If I only had one buck tag, I would likely find a place with enough does early season, and then hold a buck tag for a bigger buck and eat it if need be.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:15 am

A - but relative to the area
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:17 am

Im out to kill a deer that makes me happy and proud to have taken. I don't know if there is a description of it that makes sense, but I know it when I see it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:21 am

I said "a" but teater between "a" and "b"... I would be happy with any mature buck usually, but sometimes I target certain bucks because of there rack size. Its dependent on how game rich your hunting area is... If you see a mature buck once every 2 or 3 years you would likely choose "b". If your hunting an area with multiple bucks of the same age class, you would likely go after the one with the biggest rack.

Can't say I ever heard anyone ever say they were sitting an observation stand and watched a 130 inch 10 pointer walk out and a 160 inch 10 pointer (both 4 y/o's) so they set up on the 130...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:25 am

Guess I choose A and B. I like mature bucks but if a 130" 2 year old gets in front of me it's getting an arrow. Not saying that could ever happen but if I like the rack age generally won't matter.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:40 am

I don't really fit any of these. :lol: I basically love chasing big bucks, its challenging and a pile of fun but I also love to put quality food on the table. Generally if the freezer is stocked I will hold out for a nice buck or nothing, if the freezer is empty and the season is winding down then priorities change and I might burn my only tag on any legal deer.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:45 am

I'm out to kill a buck bigger than my last. I chose A because that's a big buck to ME If I get to a point where I can't reasonably have a shot at one bigger, I will re evaluate my goals. But I'm no where near that point yet. In reality though it depends on the hunt. I only have 1 tag, but may even take a doe depending on the circumstances, someone new to hunting with, the last day I will hunt, or special circumstances, spot and stalk, etc. Other than that it's bigger than my last or bust.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:51 am

Being a father of four- it really depends. Some years we need meat and there's just not much time to hunt. These years I'll be less picky. This will prolly be my new norm for the coming years cuz my kids are keeping us plenty busy. I came into the year thinking that I wasn't not going to be picky whatsoever. It figures that i shot the biggest, oldest deer of my life on 11/3. So basically I was going to shoot whatever buck my hard work and God put infront of me. Lucky for me, I was blessed and lucky that day and I couldn't be happier! So....I'll vote for "what happens, happens."

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:18 am

I guess its all priority in my head. Meat first, rack later. If I could find a spot that will produce 2 quick fat does I would be a rack hunter after that. If a monster walks out that checks two things off the list. A lot of meat and nice rack.

But my first priority is meat. I know everyone probably loves meat. But a rack is higher on other peoples priority list. If there was a meat first and rack later I would have chose that.

I am just not good enough yet, or have the spots to focus on just giants. If I passed every small or average buck I saw I would probably never kill a deer with my spots. I can tell right now, that the spot i just killed my button buck in does not have many bucks. I walked around the ENTIRE swamp that I know for a fact that these deer bed in, and there is not a single scrape or rub. But there is a ton of tracks and a ton of does.

Honestly I was VERY happy that I killed another deer, and VERY thankful that I had some more meat to make it through the year. But when I walked down the hill and flipped him over to dress him and I saw his penis, I kind of thought about it for a bit and I was kind of sad that I killed one of the only bucks in the area. I know I had no way of knowing, because he was as big as the does he was with, with no antlers but it still kinda sucks. I may have passed him up and waited for a shot on one of the does if he was a spike or fork. I just shot the first one that gave me a good shot.

But all in all its all about priorities. But I do like them both. Racks and meat.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:20 am

matt1336 wrote:Being a father of four- it really depends. Some years we need meat and there's just not much time to hunt. These years I'll be less picky. This will prolly be my new norm for the coming years cuz my kids are keeping us plenty busy. I came into the year thinking that I wasn't not going to be picky whatsoever. It figures that i shot the biggest, oldest deer of my life on 11/3. So basically I was going to shoot whatever buck my hard work and God put infront of me. Lucky for me, I was blessed and lucky that day and I couldn't be happier! So....I'll vote for "what happens, happens."

Probably, C. Then
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:36 am

I'm learning, hoping for a mature animal but am pretty happy to be able to set up and see a "6 pt"+ buck when I believe he should be there. Did that 2x this season and was real happy about it.

I voted for "any buck" but am just as happy shooting a couple of does for the freezer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”