Problems with a shattered crossbow bolt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Problems with a shattered crossbow bolt

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:43 am

Last week while hunting my Dad shot at a deer at about 12 yards. After the shot he found a fletching, nock and the two other fletchings attached to a 3" piece of shredded bolt. We were unable to locate the rest of the arrow or broadhead. There was no trees in anywhere close for him to break the bolt on or deflect off of. We didn't find any hair or blood at the shot. We also went about 300yds in the direction the deer went but did not find the deer or any blood. We just assumed he missed the deer since we had no evidence to the contrary but just yesterday my brother's friend showed him a picture of his Dad's bolt which had done a similar thing on a 7yd shot and he got the deer and didn't find blood until 20yds from the deer. Granted the deer only went 150yds but my question is has anybody had this happen to them or someone they know? Is it possible he hit the deer and we just didn't find blood? The shot was only 12 yds and he had a rest. I have to imagine if the arrow did not have any issues there was no way he would have missed especially since I watched him that same morning hit dead center at 25yds. I plan on going back this next week when I have time off to check again but I don't know what to think.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”