Scent detection worries

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Scent detection worries

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:11 pm

Couple scenarios I am curious about experience or knowledge with:

1) Buck coming down trail A and does coming down trail B. Scent could be blowing to trail B or the area surrounding trail B, even potential doe bedding at some distance (say 250 yards). Would you still hunt the spot with scent not getting to the buck but possibly getting to the does?

2) A south wind is bad but a southeast wind is good for a stand on the expected buck travel route on his way to bedding...would you still hunt the spot and take a chance on the variably changing from SE to S and back to SE?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Re: Scent detection worries

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:40 pm

My thinking on 1 is that you need wind to be good both ways. Towards doe bedding/ trail and buck trail. If a doe catches your wind and blows and busts out of there, and a buck is in the vesinity and hears it, hes likely not going to go in that area. But if he knows the does bed there and he isnt coming through till later, and they bust out of there early enough you may get lucky and he may trot through.

On number 2 its a judgement call. How often is it changing? Once and hour? Is it swirling? I mean if it occasionally changes I might chance it depending on how many cracks you have at the spot. If its the only time you can hunt. Then yes. You wont know if you dont try. Even if its only changing once every 3 hours for a few seconds, that all it takes for the buck to bust you. A lot of different scenarios.

Me personally I am a little reckless. I tend to just go for it. I have seen a decent sized 8 point so wrapped up in getting laid that he kept his head down and walked within 15 feet of my buddy and he shot him. He tapes all his hunts. It was the craziest thing to watch. Who knows maybe he wants the doe more than he cares about catching a quick whiff of your smell.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:50 pm

On scenario 2 I am going by the forecast and guessing it could switch around some. Without the easterly component I could be toast. The forecast has a consistent SE direction all night and morning but in southern Indiana you just never know.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:51 am

I'm with JRichard, n that I'm a little reckless, only....in both scenarios. With number 2 though, I hunt in hill country, and I'm always worried about the thermals and terrands effects on wind. So, I always consider that. If it's gonna be SE and terrain and thermals will keep it, for the most part constant, with some S variation, I'm going for it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”