How I " didnt get my buck"...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lastcast#1

How I " didnt get my buck"...

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:25 am

Mistakes can be the ultimate teacher...I made one on Nov 10 of this year..First mature buck I have seen while bowhunting...(second year)..Messed up a great opportunity; and a rare one at that here on Michigan public..I will detail that encounter later in the thread as I do not have time now..

As a rehabilitative process for me, yes I am still thinking about this buck, and a learning tool for myself and others , I would like to hear about some of the mishaps some of the more experienced guys have had and what they took away from these mistakes..Heck, inexperienced guys like myself chime in as well...Hope this thread gains some traction..

Have a great day everyone..

Chad

[ Post made via Android ] Image

nor' easter

Re: How I " didnt get my buck"...

Unread postby nor' easter » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:44 am

Loose fitting gloves. Had a nice buck sneak right in during rifle season a few years back in late november. Went to slip my finger on the trigger and the glove doubled over and I couldn't get my finger in the guard loop.

Fidgeting in the stand and turning around to look behind me has gotten me busted a few times, as well as blind calling.

Hurrying through the woods cost me a real nice one a while back too.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:48 am

I have failed at 5 opportunities to harvest bucks this archery season. 2-3 definite shooters based on my goals. Lost 2, missed 2, 1 looked up at me. Worst season ever...All new gear and bow this season and im still not sure what to think other than I am a horrible shot all of a sudden bc i have practiced since spring. Maybe my wife cursed me. Maybe my bow isn't tuned or too heavy and im dropping my arm. I was keeping at it until the last one, though he made it bc we saw him opening day of rifle. Now I am practicing harder, I might try one more time. Getting over the mental part is the key. If you are on a buck then, depending on the encounter, make adjustments and get back at him for sure. I hope to hear about your buck encounter soon
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:24 am

After reading Magic's post I very seriously thought about posting a thread on why I didn't get my buck....but for fear of crashing the Hunting Beast I refrained.
rff

Unread postby rff » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:59 am

I waited for the "perfect shot" instead of taking a good . Buck slipped away with no shot.

Another, I went to get into position to draw while the buck was alert. Ended up in a stare down with no shot.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:55 am

I lost my best Michigan bow buck this year. 1 of 2 things happened.

#1 I hit a branch and got a deflection. If thats the case, I probably should have passed on the shot. Or

#2 I rushed the shot and didn't pick a spot AND didnt follow through!!! That last part is huge. Watch the arrow fly through your pin guard, don't move your bow arm out of the way.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:59 am

I didn't see him......
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:20 pm

I was to focused on finding buck beds during scouting and neglected other areas and phases. My fault, but it was experienced gained. Still managed to scramble around, in season scout and see a total of 32 deer. 21 bucks and 11 does. Out of the bucks 7 of them were 2.5yr old or better. 3 of them were within the 1st 2 weeks set up close to scouted bedding and all were target bucks. I read the signs wrong and prepped tree was off. 1st year beast hunting and 3rd year back into bowhunting. I'm ok with my year. I just need to make adjustments. (This doesn't include my OOS hunt)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:34 pm

Its a tough game. Most OOS trips, I figure I might get one opportunity to capitalize. In Maine, I might get 1 opportunity.

Making the shot is a big deal. Got to make it count. Lots of times the guys that kill big bucks on a regular basis, they might have no more hunting skills than you they just can make it happen at crunch time. Its the biggest obstacle I had to overcome in this journey. Once you get it...the big bucks start to come on a more regular basis.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:06 pm

I put myself on a 130" + 10 pt on a OOS hunt last week because of the beast methods I have applied this year, but I sailed one over his back. I chocked. This will be my off season thing to key in on and try and make myself a better closer. I have accepted that this is my weakness and am goig to address it.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:59 pm

I hate stopping deer before the shot, in fact I never have and I know it cost me a buck this year and a possible shot at one a number of years ago. By the time I actually realized I needed to stop them it was to late. :doh:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:55 am

I shot my best buck this year cause I was willing to take the shot - had a smaller buck come out first and I expected the larger deer to follow.

I missed my biggest buck opportunity just because I wasn't expecting to see a big buck and was enjoying the sight too much to make a good shot. Watched him and then rushed a shot when I had enough time to make 20 shots a couple seconds prior...

Crunch time is where it is at for me. We have to be on auto pilot with the end result of a dead deer - watch him too long, rush the shot, get all antsy & shakey, etc. and no deer. Do everything just like you are supposed to and he comes home.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”