How do you hunt in rifle season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How do you take advantage of the orange army?

I like to sit funnels and saddles.
14%
I like to hang near bedding.
9%
I like to sit over really thick stuff.
16%
I like to go in as remote as possible and let hunters push deer to me.
9%
I like to sit all day and do all of the above.
35%
I like to wait to hunt until all the bozos leave the woods.
7%
I prefer deer drives.
9%

Total votes: 43
matt1336
500 Club

Re: How do you hunt in rifle season?

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:30 am

After opening weekend I prefer to make things happen as opposed to hoping and wishing they'd happen. So I'm participating in drives, still hunting and or tracking. A lot of the time I'm tracking or still hunting while
I'm on a drive. Say what you want, but its productive and really your only hope in getting a shot at a mature buck during heavy pressure public land gun season in WI. Either you're kicking them up or hoping someone else does it for you. Again I prefer to do it myself.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:12 am

BigHunt wrote:
justin84 wrote:
BigHunt wrote:Leeward ridges......as thick as possible

In Steve Heiting's book, Hunting Northwoods Bucks, he talks about hunting ridges overlooking thick stuff like cedar or spruce (I think he called them dark areas). I'm trying to find some places like this on the map in my area for opening weekend.

Has any logging taken place? If so seek out those areas. Sun has access to the open area and makes it grow thick and sometimes if your lucky aspen will grow wich is very thick. My grandfathers land was logged off 4 years ago...I was worried at first but it's been getting nothing but better every year!! The bedding areas have tripled

Yes! Where I'm at there is some stuff that was logged about 4-5 years back, can't remember, and some stuff in 2015. I have a few pinned already to check out at some point next week.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:44 pm

justin84 wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
justin84 wrote:
BigHunt wrote:Leeward ridges......as thick as possible

In Steve Heiting's book, Hunting Northwoods Bucks, he talks about hunting ridges overlooking thick stuff like cedar or spruce (I think he called them dark areas). I'm trying to find some places like this on the map in my area for opening weekend.

Has any logging taken place? If so seek out those areas. Sun has access to the open area and makes it grow thick and sometimes if your lucky aspen will grow wich is very thick. My grandfathers land was logged off 4 years ago...I was worried at first but it's been getting nothing but better every year!! The bedding areas have tripled

Yes! Where I'm at there is some stuff that was logged about 4-5 years back, can't remember, and some stuff in 2015. I have a few pinned already to check out at some point next week.

good luck ...keep us posted! 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”