Guys Use Your Safety Gear

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Guys Use Your Safety Gear

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:43 am

A fellow worker of mine was climbing a 20 foot ladder stand last weekend, with gun over shoulder and went down - he fell 14 foot and landed on his back. Aside a bruised ego and some bumps and bruises he will be Ok - this is NOT the normal outcome. I don't care how experienced someone thinks they are - no buck is worth taking short cuts.

Lessons form this event: #1 - use a pull rope don't carry your weapon while climbing; #2- use a lifeline or at least a lineman's belt while climbing; #3 always use a tree strap and harness while in the stand. Finally, #4 - ALWAYS leave a hunt plan with someone so they know where you are.

I am grateful my bud is OK - but man, he has a wife and kids at home and this could have went south really quick.

Be safe!

BowHusker

Re: Guys Use Your Safety Gear

Unread postby BowHusker » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:59 am

Very true Dave. I used to be very careless with this aspect, this year I have used proper safety on every hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks for the reminder.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:10 am

Stuff like that happens fast. Glad your buddy is okay.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:11 am

Yup. My second cousin fell about 20 feet off his stand 5 years ago. Landed on his head. The impact busted his jaw, busted some ribs, and broke his back. He won't walk again and is left with thousands of dollars of medical expenses. He is lucky to be alive. He could barely move just to reach into his pocket for his phone to dial 911 because of the extreme pain and paralysis right after the fall. Scary!
Last edited by Crazinamatese on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:11 am

Broke my back a little over a year ago, accidents can happen, safety gear and pay attention at all times. Good reminder Dave

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:25 am

My uncle had a ladder stand break on him last year. One of the old aluminum tube ones from like the 80's. Still uses it to this day and refuses to upgrade since "I have shot lots of deer out of it". Has to go to a chiropractor twice a week even a year later. My dad refuses to wear one in his climber despite me insisting on it daily. There is only so much you can do, and making sure you are as safe as possible has to be number one. I invested in a rock climbing harness and made my own tether and linemans belt and I feel much safer and more confident than I did in an old freebie harness.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:31 am

I ran into a guy I bump into in the swamp every few years. He said 2 years ago his stand broke and he fell out 20' up. Landed at a 45. Said he still gets real bad headaches and neck stays stiff. How he didby land on a cypress tree or break something is done serious luck... needless to say he said he now preaches to anyone he sees to wear a harness

Make It Happen
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:43 am

A co-worker fell out of his treestand a few weeks ago. He broke his back but luckily will recover. He doesnt remember how it happened at all. He left his safety harness in the truck that day. It only takes one time. Be safe guys.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:47 am

DaveT1963 wrote:A fellow worker of mine was climbing a 20 foot ladder stand last weekend, with gun over shoulder and went down - he fell 14 foot and landed on his back. Aside a bruised ego and some bumps and bruises he will be Ok - this is NOT the normal outcome. I don't care how experienced someone thinks they are - no buck is worth taking short cuts.

Lessons form this event: #1 - use a pull rope don't carry your weapon while climbing; #2- use a lifeline or at least a lineman's belt while climbing; #3 always use a tree strap and harness while in the stand. Finally, #4 - ALWAYS leave a hunt plan with someone so they know where you are.

I am grateful my bud is OK - but man, he has a wife and kids at home and this could have went south really quick.

Be safe!

I am not at all questioning the need for using safety harnesses but how did he fall out of ladder stand? Did he slip and lose his grip?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:50 am

Good reminder. Never sit without my harness, and usually never get into the stand from my sticks without being strapped in. Been a little lax this year going up, should get back to my linemans belt.

Man, I just haaaaate ladder stands from a safety perspective. Dangerous putting them up and taking them down, hate being so far from the tree. Just don't feel safe in them.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:56 am

Kraftd wrote:Good reminder. Never sit without my harness, and usually never get into the stand from my sticks without being strapped in. Been a little lax this year going up, should get back to my linemans belt.

Man, I just haaaaate ladder stands from a safety perspective. Dangerous putting them up and taking them down, hate being so far from the tree. Just don't feel safe in them.

Exact reason why I refuse to hunt out of a ladder stand. They seem safe but in reality, I found it impossible to set up safely unless you climb with sticks ahead of time to put up a lifeline. I will stick to my climber and once I get some practice in, my hang on. Much easier to use safety equipment.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:51 am

mheichelbech wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:A fellow worker of mine was climbing a 20 foot ladder stand last weekend, with gun over shoulder and went down - he fell 14 foot and landed on his back. Aside a bruised ego and some bumps and bruises he will be Ok - this is NOT the normal outcome. I don't care how experienced someone thinks they are - no buck is worth taking short cuts.

Be safe!

I am not at all questioning the need for using safety harnesses but how did he fall out of ladder stand? Did he slip and lose his grip?

Mud on boots, one hand holding rifle strap, slipped and lost grip....

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:23 pm

1st year stringer, ive found myself in too much of a hurry a few times and wanted to cut some corners...not worth it. 1 screw-up and my days in a tree may be over :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: take your time, be safe
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:08 am

He is lucky that that gun did not break his back. Falling from that distance with something between your back and the ground makes it easy for those vertibre to separate. I am glad he is okay.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”