Guys Use Your Safety Gear

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

C r o w

Re: Guys Use Your Safety Gear

Unread postby C r o w » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:09 am

Had a cousin expiernece a hunting accident.. climbing his stand with his gun on his shoulder. Gun slipped off his shoulder and fired striking him in the head. Use your safety equipment, it's no joke.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:27 am

DaveT1963 wrote:A fellow worker of mine was climbing a 20 foot ladder stand last weekend, with gun over shoulder and went down - he fell 14 foot and landed on his back. Aside a bruised ego and some bumps and bruises he will be Ok - this is NOT the normal outcome. I don't care how experienced someone thinks they are - no buck is worth taking short cuts.

Lessons form this event: #1 - use a pull rope don't carry your weapon while climbing; #2- use a lifeline or at least a lineman's belt while climbing; #3 always use a tree strap and harness while in the stand. Finally, #4 - ALWAYS leave a hunt plan with someone so they know where you are.

I am grateful my bud is OK - but man, he has a wife and kids at home and this could have went south really quick.

Be safe!

My best friend this year had a stand strap slip on him, right when he put his full weight on the platfrom. Luckily he clipped to his harness before stepping on. He has mostly ladder stands on his property but a few hang ons . Said it was cool that his safety equipment worked but realized he forgot to check that particular stand... while he was hanging there. :naughty:
So if you happen to leave loc on stands all year , which I dont recommend . Always inspect , check bolts and replace the straps!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:10 am

When people notice straps and belts are in questionable shape yet still use them blows my mind. A few extra bucks is priceless compared to being dead or even paralyzed and unable to hunt or provide for your family anymore.

I replace all my straps every 5 years or earlier if they show signs of wear. If you leave them outside often replacing every year shouldn't be out of the question.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:58 am

Yes - true that... :pray:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
wihunter

Unread postby wihunter » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:21 am

This is my first year of using a mobile setup, which has really shown me the need for proper safety equipment. will be the first to admit i got a little lax just showing up at a prehung stand and going up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”