What do you do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CallMeFishmael

What do you do?

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:10 am

Last night, I was trying to get in one last bow hunt before the guns started blazing here in Michigan. So I was walking into a spot that I had scouted out last winter (and realized I did not scout my access route well enough). I was almost there when I stopped in some swamp grass to get my bearings and a buck blew up 10 yards from me, snorted and took off. When this happens close to your hunting spot, do you guys still hunt there? Or do you simply give up on it for the night and go somewhere else? He was a good buck, out past his ears and pretty tall. So at least I know I am on to something in that spot.

I hunted the spot and didn't see anything but wasn't surprised given the events that transpired. That and everyone in the county was sighting in their rifles within a mile of there.

headgear
500 Club

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:16 am

In a case like that I might move on or at least setup in a new location, however bumping them isn't always the end of the game. One time I bumped one from about 30-40 yards but he couldn't see me and the wind was in my favor. A couple hours later he came back to maybe check me out and I arrowed him. That is likely a rare case but it can happen and Dan has mentioned that sometimes they do come back. A lot depends on how they react, and if they see or smell you.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:28 am

I would have hunted a different area.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:39 am

I would hunt it. bump and dump. your in there, you might as well hunt it. if its good bedding, theres always the possibility that another buck or doe will come in. The buck you jumped thinks that he out smarted you. his secure location worked for him, theres always the possibility he comes back early and then you get a crack at him.

a couple days ago i was hanging my sticks and half way up the tree a nice buck came in and saw me, then turned and walked away. I stayed in my spot. Never saw a deer, but I had confidence in the spot. You never know what can happen.

sounds like you found a spot to use for future hunts :dance: :clap: :clap:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:23 am

I have kicked bucks while accessing and then an hour later another buck gets up and comes in... Or, the same one comes back after he thinks you passed thru the area. I would sit tight. If the buck was not in the main bedding area there is a good chance its satellite bedding and he was there cause a more dominant buck is claiming the main beds.
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:30 am

Thanks for the information. That is very helpful. I stuck it out, but did not have much confidence for the rest of the night. Hearing that it may not be game over will help in the future. I do have to scout the area more to improve my access though. I was really kicking myself at maybe ruining a shot at a good one (by Michigan standards).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”