What if MN firearms hunt did,nt fall during rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: What if MN firearms hunt did,nt fall during rut

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 am

Casper wrote:SE Minn is already one of the best area's in the world to hunt Whities... no rut shotgun season.... best area in my opinion.

I agree, get rid of the rifles, shotguns only and after the main rut. I think that's how Iowa does it, and they have some nice slobs comming out out of their state. I wish WI would do this as well, however I know it will never happen.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:52 pm

bowhunter15 wrote: Was there a penalty if someone shot a buck with only a 14 3/4" spread?

$500 fine and they take the deer, your also not allowed to hunt there the next year. If its borderline...let it grow!!!
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:34 pm

1st gun season is during the rut in SE Mn, it starts the first weekend in Nov, and then there is a late season also that starts when Wis. gun starts. We hunt public there and the problem we saw this year with the AR is some people were shooting everything else that moved. Saw lots of fawns shot both doe and button bucks, so thats creating a whole new problem. The other thing is the intensive tags might come back to bite them. In most areas of 300 you can buy 5 bonus tags thats way to many in my opinion because it seemed like deer numbers were down a little this year, maybe someone else would chime in if im wrong? I think a "spread rule" should be added if they decide the keep the Ar going in zone 300, i saw a real nice mature 6 with no brows at 15 yds and had to let him walk it was a bummer. I think the AR intentions are well, but they need to careful about how they do it like others have said.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:16 pm

Neighbors from my lease in SE Minn shot 70 does last year and every doe they saw this year....hmmmmm I wonder why I saw more bucks then does. MN DNR is just as bad as Wisconsins.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:16 pm

I personally don't think a spread rule is the way to go either... 1st off, it might work with experianced hunters, but your average guy can't tell the difference between 15 and 18 inches and if a mistake happens they are just going leave the deer there. Plus I don't think any kid starting out will have a grasp of spread...
2nd.. There have been plenty of deer that have reached maturity and never got 15 inches wide, there are even a few booners in the record books that are less than 15 wide.
I have a buck I found dead in a bedding area that has about 17 or 18 pints, died most likely due to his old age. About 10 or 12 inches wide...
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:13 am

I think education is the best answer. I think it is really bogus how the DNR claims they manage herds for for their health, but nothing has to do with age structure. You would think if their concern was the health of the herd, age structure would be something they would look at. Why don't they?
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:49 am

dan wrote:I personally don't think a spread rule is the way to go either.

Its worked very well for 10 years now with no ill effects but we we'll see as time goes on.

Which is more common, 1 1/2's with 3 or 4 points on a side or a mature buck with under a 15" spread? You don't have to answer that, around here...its at least 50 to 1, LOL!!!

Would love to see pic.'s of that buck if you have any Dan. There was a buck killed a few years ago that was a little under 14"s wide....It was aged at 5 1/2+ and gross scored in the 170's. There was no fine issued and he keep the buck because the spread limit had served its purpos...he was a mature buck.

I do agree though, education is the key.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:20 pm

dan, does illinois still run their public land that way?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:33 pm

wmihunter wrote:dan, does illinois still run their public land that way?

That was one property... Illinois has lots of differently managed propertys with differing rules and ideas. Not sure if they still do on that particular property, I have not been down to that property in about 5 years.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:46 pm

dan wrote:
wmihunter wrote:dan, does illinois still run their public land that way?
Not sure if they still do on that particular property, I have not been down to that property in about 5 years.

Lets go back there and check it out ;)
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:58 pm

I didn't care for antler restrictions much either for a lot of the reasons Dan mentioned, but when we went to Missouri this year I may have changed my mind. My buddy has been going there for four years now, not long after their rules started and said it has gotten better every year, with buck sightings. I have to say I agree with this being my first year there. WAAAYYYY better than here in Wisconsin. Education would be great, but the average hunter won't do it. I don't see Wisconsin ever changing, we have a kill all mentality running deep in our blood here. Sure, the mind set of many hunters here has changed over the years, the proof is out there, twenty years ago booners killed here were few and far between. Now there are a lot of giants killed here, just check out the "big bucks killed all over" thread here. Just sayin' if you want to see more big bucks pretty much has to be forced on people.
I used to preach, let 'em go, so they can grow, and pissed off a lot of people years ago. Now I use a more suttle approach. Can't say it works great yet, but what ya gonna do? Just keep trying. I am jealous of the people who are in pockets where everyone has the same ideas about managing deer, where big bucks are taken out consistantly.

Do I understand this correctly, Minnesota has an antler restriction in place, but slaughter everthing else? How pathetic :roll:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:03 pm

wmihunter wrote:
dan, does illinois still run their public land that way
?
That was one property... Illinois has lots of differently managed propertys with differing rules and ideas. Not sure if they still do on that particular property, I have not been down to that property in about 5 years.

Its called "Jim Edgar panther creek wildlife area" its near Chandlersville Illinois...
I just looked it up and it looks like the residents can just go out there and hunt, it was only the non-residents that get the education and have to meet the site warden. Here is a link to info about the property:

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/hu ... s/jepc.htm
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:
dan wrote:I personally don't think a spread rule is the way to go either.

Its worked very well for 10 years now with no ill effects but we we'll see as time goes on.

Which is more common, 1 1/2's with 3 or 4 points on a side or a mature buck with under a 15" spread? You don't have to answer that, around here...its at least 50 to 1, LOL!!!

Would love to see pic.'s of that buck if you have any Dan. There was a buck killed a few years ago that was a little under 14"s wide....It was aged at 5 1/2+ and gross scored in the 170's. There was no fine issued and he keep the buck because the spread limit had served its purpos...he was a mature buck.

I do agree though, education is the key.

I would need to go out and take pic's of that rack. Its nailed to a wall in the garage. I do agree spread rule is a good way to manage and is better than point count... I just think its to hard on kids and beginners.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:43 pm

dan wrote:I would need to go out and take pic's of that rack. Its nailed to a wall in the garage.

No, dont go out of your way...just thought you might have one on your PC.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Over the new years vacation I plan to get some pictures of some sheds for storys I will take a pic or two of it.
Its a weird rack, most of the points are hidden in the back of the bases...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”