To a vote; the better rut stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ognennyy
500 Club

To a vote; the better rut stand

Unread postby Ognennyy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:43 pm

I'm thinking of going on a blind archery hunt this Saturday. High pressure, clear, and cold with a NW wind. My access is from the jeep trail on the ridge to the east of the marshes.

Stand #1 gets me on the downwind side of the last southbound crossing for 3/4 of a mile across the long thin marsh. It's a thick area, but looks like I can position myself right on a transition coming out of the crossing. It also has the best access of the 4 options.

Stand #2 puts me right in the thermal tunnel of the ridge to the North-West. Possible doe bedding on the ridge above to the West, and a food source below to the East. Seems like a great stand. Access will, uh.... suck. Long walk around the southern tip of the marsh so as not to leave scent trail in the crossing.

Stand #3. I'm guessing that deer moving between the small marsh at the bottom and the long thing marsh above will move up that creek bed. Good access.

Stand #4 is along a hard transition on the southbound movement corridor between the upper and lower marshes. I'm not sure; will bucks move through? Because of the NW wind they'd essentially be blind to what's going on in the pines.

Give me your votes! And please, if there are gaping flaws in my logic above, point it out.

I_Love_Scotch

Re: To a vote; the better rut stand

Unread postby I_Love_Scotch » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:56 pm

I like big ridges and so do does during rut, if I'm going blind 1st time I'm going to #2 and get there really early. Hopefully you have a NW for a few days and can try them all out. Always a toss up during the rut but that's what makes it fun!
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:23 am

I_Love_Scotch wrote:I like big ridges and so do does during rut, if I'm going blind 1st time I'm going to #2 and get there really early. Hopefully you have a NW for a few days and can try them all out. Always a toss up during the rut but that's what makes it fun!

I was trying not to "bias the polls" but I like #2 also. But with as new as I am I find myself sometimes second guessing my logic.

Thanks for the input bud!
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:31 am

2, but put the stand closer to the dotted line

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:55 am

Now that we've narrowed it down to one stand out of the options I had, I want to up the ante a little. It's now a toss-up between #2, and #5. There is a marsh up in the mountains that I'm pretty sure no one gets up to.. It looks as good if not better than #2 in the above pics. I can use my shotgun in this area. And the Eastern ridge in the picture - the one to the North of Stand #5 - was logged like 2-3 years ago so probably covered with doe bedding.

Stand #5 is a great spot on a transition, wedged between terrain and the edge of a marsh. Seems like an awesome pinch.

Stand #6 I've already kind of decided against only because #5 looks more promising.

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:09 am

I hate to go against the grain, but for some reason I kind of like #1 haha.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”