Advice Needed.......WHAT BROADHEAD???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Re: Advice Needed.......WHAT BROADHEAD???

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:14 pm

I'll second the dr. Ashly reports, along with the info.from Alaska bow hunting. He has a good video on shooting different head weights showing how and where they fly. You might be surprised at here certain weights end up.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:43 pm

Get your bow tuned up and shoot slicks. They have never done me wrong.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:25 pm

Muzzy 100 grain. I used mechanical for a few years and both shots entered behind the shoulder and exit threw the brisket. One was a broadside shot the other a slightly quartering away shot. This year I shot the muzzy and made complete pass threw

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:27 am

Or try the rage low ke or the nap killzone low ke

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:05 am

JoeRE as usual speaketh the truth...........if you are hunting big Midwest whitetail bucks these are big stout animals and for the life of me I cannot understand how hunter who more or less dedicate their lives to hunting these giants would use anything but the tool that gives them the BEST chance to making the most of their opportunities.

Long, narrow, low blade angle 2 or 4 blade heads are going to give maximum penetration out of any setup relative to a shorter wider, or god forbid mechanical head. I saw a signature that said BUILD THE RIG FOR THE GIG and if your hunting the big boys and want max penetration do yourself a favor and set up an accurate quiet heavy arrow setup with a well built COC head on the front. There is no drawback and all benefit to this kind of setup.
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:39 am

I am using a Mathews Halon 6 with a 70 lb draw weight, and a 27.5 inch draw length. I use a 100 Grain Slick Trick and I think the measurements on the blades are 1 and 1/4 inch. Honestly I love them. My buck, I shot a little far back but caught both lungs. The hole in the deer was big enough for me to fit my fist through. Then on my doe, I shot her in her right shoulder plate, it completely severed the right shoulder (it was only being held on by skin), and it completely blew out the left shoulder. I couldn't drag the deer by its front legs lol. Had to tie a rope around her neck and drag.

But that bow is crazy fast. Super accurate. And has a ton of power. I was shooting through Reinhardt targets at 3d shoots with this bow (using field tips). My fletching would be completely buried in the target. I ruined about 250$ worth of arrows this past summer. lol. So I am sure that has to do with my end product of my doe, but its all about how well all of your equipment works together.

But like people have said, if your bow is tuned right it should do the job no matter the arrow or broad head. My original bow (bow tech carbon knight) could not shoot slick tricks for some reason. They were constantly all over the place. And when I would shoot 30 yards or further with a broadhead I would watch my around fly in circles lol. Its hard to explain lol. I had to shoot muzzy broad heads. Idk you just gotta find the bow, arrow, and broad head that works the best. I just got lucky because a friend of mine at a local bait shop shoots the same thing I do and he set me right up with what works after seeing me struggling for a few months last year lol.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:53 am

"BUILD THE RIG FOR THE GIG" - I like it :D
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:11 am

I've shot good ole muzzy 3 blade 100's for 30 years. Never had a problem. i'm going to try some slick trick magnum's & Muzzy 4 blades this off-season. I like the idea of 4 blades instead of 3 for more cutting surface area.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:30 am

I use shuttle t-locks. Fly like field points and crush through bone. Creator mainly hunts elk and they put them down hard

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:30 am

Another vote for Magnus, Snuffers and Buzz Cuts.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks everyone for their replies. I will be looking at a heavier arrow and COC broadhead.

I had a happy start to my day today. I found him right where I heard him crash.

STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:57 am

Good shot and nice buck 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:34 pm

I have been shooting the original Muzzy 100's for years. Pretty rare I don't get a pass thru. The newer Muzzy heads don't work as well and are designed to catch hunters by looking cool more than to kill... I got free slick tricks from a sponsor this year and they flew great. But, shooting targets side by side with my muzzys I was seeing the muzzys get 3 times more penetration, and the slick tipped arrows were changing direction on penetration on angled hits... I gathered all the packages up and gave them back to the sponsor. I think it was due to the angle of the blades being steeper.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:13 pm

I shot original 4 blade 100 grain Muzzys out of my 77# compound for years. My arrow was on the lite side. So I never got a pass through on an elk. But deer and bear were no problem. When the bow was properly tuned. My field points and broadheads shot in the same group out to 70 yards.

I like the Ashby studies. Low angle single bevel broadheads will bust through bone when combined with heavier FOC arrows.

Most whitetails are shot well under 35 yards. Lose a little trajectory and gain some bone busting penetration for those unanticipated marginal shots.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:24 pm

dan wrote:I have been shooting the original Muzzy 100's for years. Pretty rare I don't get a pass thru. The newer Muzzy heads don't work as well and are designed to catch hunters by looking cool more than to kill... I got free slick tricks from a sponsor this year and they flew great. But, shooting targets side by side with my muzzys I was seeing the muzzys get 3 times more penetration, and the slick tipped arrows were changing direction on penetration on angled hits... I gathered all the packages up and gave them back to the sponsor. I think it was due to the angle of the blades being steeper.

If it ain't broke why fix it. Muzzy has always been in my quiver and will always be in my quiver
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”