Anyone else dealt w/ construction on hunting prop in season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WSalzNC

Anyone else dealt w/ construction on hunting prop in season?

Unread postby WSalzNC » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:27 am

Hey beasts,
I'm hunting a new place this year-- 50 acres of hilly farm with a variety of terrain features, 1/2 cattle pasture, 1/2 timber with creekbottom, white oaks, etc. Lots of deer, and at least one big buck from my trail cam photos. I'm in NC-- arguably still in the pre-rut based on what I'm seeing on camera-- not much chasing to speak of, bucks eating clover together and hitting an active scrape nightly. Even though I'm seeing action near this clover patch and scrape, I'm thinking this will NOT be a rut hotspot due to lack of does in this area.

Cattle fence line development has started all along my best rut spot-- a creek bottom funnel system where I've seen evidence of a lot of doe activity in the past year. Fence building will continue on weekdays for the next couple weeks. They bulldozed a wide swath all the way up the creek bottom, right where I've been planning on rut hunting all year. I still see decent tracks on top of the dozer tracks, but I'm wondering what to do. I don't have recent trailcam footage of this area (only have 1 camera currently, but I'm thinking of picking up a cheap one tonight to put out there). My hunch is the doe bedding has simply moved partially up the hillsides, the bucks seems to like to bed up on top of the hills in thicker stuff.

I am trying to turn these events into positives. Brush and trees are now piled up along the sides of the hills, providing more thick cover on either side of creek bottom. Access is easier now, and gun season will be a breeze with sight distance way up.

Should I try to rut-hunt this excellent terrain feature area anyway, despite the major human intrusion? Or do you guys think this spot is blown (and deer gone nocturnal) and I need to let it cool off this season?

WSalzNC

Re: Anyone else dealt w/ construction on hunting prop in sea

Unread postby WSalzNC » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:02 pm

I think I'm going to keep the camera on the clover/scrape area and move back up there if I see the big guy moving in daylight, but in the meantime hunt the rut spot on the weekend when no one is there. Deer at this place seem pretty accustomed to human intrusion with farm vehicles and heavy equipment, so maybe I'll be OK. Next year I hope to have a handful more trail cameras to make surveying a little easier.
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Anyone else dealt w/ construction on hunting prop in sea

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:13 am

I hunted a small 45 acre parcel and had the owner's rep come through 3 times and till the perimeter road. It messed me up.

The deer are still there...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”