I need guidance on making the most of this opportunity

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Mediocre Hunter

I need guidance on making the most of this opportunity

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:13 am

First of all thank you guys in advance. Ok so I just started hunting this particular area. it's public land there's a lot of deer in the area and it's somewhat pressured but there's enough here for everybody to go around. I have a question as far as which area to hunt as I can only hunt a few days and it's not near enough for me to be able to scout it before I go. Waypoint one that I have labeled on here is where I sat in a stand about a month-and-a-half ago on archery opening. I was only able to hunt one morning and I was running out of time to find a place to set up so that's where I ended up. I didn't see a lot of deer but I saw a few does and a ton of deer sign, tracks mostly but I also was thinking about looking into waypoint 2 and wanted to see your thoughts on which area I should hunt like I said I saw quite a bit a deer sign around the waypoint 1 but I want to maximize my opportunities to get something. And I have not been near the other area, I just kinda cyber decided based on things I had read previously. I will also attach the weather forecast for the time I'll be there. Friday Saturday and Sunday. Any help is appreciated.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Re: I need guidance on making the most of this opportunity

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:59 am

Do you know where the current food sources and bedding are located?

At first glance I would check out the oxbows on those streams or rivers. If its too deep to cross I would not get too excited about it because if a buck goes to take a drink its going to probably be more random than an actual crossing. I also like the two point you have on that south ridge. I would probably drop down to the 1/3 elevation if you're looking for bucks.

Now the best odds of finding deer are to look for a doe bedding areas because that is where the deer are going to be whether its a buck or a doe. Me personally I am a meat hunter. If its brown it goes down. lol. But the primary focus would be for current bedding areas.

I know this very generic and introductory but I would have to know where the deer are most likely bedding and eating. if you could post a pic of where they seem to bed and eat I could give more information. But like I said I like those two spots up on those southern ridges.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:30 am

Jrichard wrote:Do you know where the current food sources and bedding are located?

At first glance I would check out the oxbows on those streams or rivers. If its too deep to cross I would not get too excited about it because if a buck goes to take a drink its going to probably be more random than an actual crossing. I also like the two point you have on that south ridge. I would probably drop down to the 1/3 elevation if you're looking for bucks.

Now the best odds of finding deer are to look for a doe bedding areas because that is where the deer are going to be whether its a buck or a doe. Me personally I am a meat hunter. If its brown it goes down. lol. But the primary focus would be for current bedding areas.

I know this very generic and introductory but I would have to know where the deer are most likely bedding and eating. if you could post a pic of where they seem to bed and eat I could give more information. But like I said I like those two spots up on those southern ridges.

Jrichard, thank you for the input, but I don't have that information, when I was there on marker 1 the does were traveling from a northwest southeast direction. When I spoke tothe biologist of the area, he said it's perfect deer habitat and they are everywhere, but he didn't give specifics. It consists on around 300,000 acres of timber land and there is browse everywhere I walked that day. Did you say go down to the 1/3 elevation or go down a 1/3 of the elevation?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:10 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Jrichard wrote:Do you know where the current food sources and bedding are located?

Jrichard, thank you for the input, but I don't have that information, when I was there on marker 1 the does were traveling from a northwest southeast direction. When I spoke tothe biologist of the area, he said it's perfect deer habitat and they are everywhere, but he didn't give specifics. It consists on around 300,000 acres of timber land and there is browse everywhere I walked that day. Did you say go down to the 1/3 elevation or go down a 1/3 of the elevation?

its the top 3rd elevation of leeward (down wind) ridges.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:16 am

Jrichard wrote:

its the top 3rd elevation of leeward (down wind) ridges.

Thank you

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:30 am

I like the spot where the creek bends from E-W to N-S. There is as saddle right there too and it is steep.

It is all the way to the left side of the map. Almost dead center up and down.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:37 am

PK_ wrote:I like the spot where the creek bends from E-W to N-S. There is as saddle right there too and it is steep.

Good catch. It seems to be wooded in that area. Should I also go up the ridge or stay down low.

Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:12 am

PK_ wrote:I like the spot where the creek bends from E-W to N-S. There is as saddle right there too and it is steep.

Good catch. It seems to be wooded in that area. Should I also go up the ridge or stay down low.

Are you looking to just fill a tag or are you looking for a buck?
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:30 am

Jrichard wrote:

In this particular instance I'm looking for a buck.

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:43 am

I would hike in to the NW and hunt that secluded saddle.

Not all those who wander are lost...
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:51 am

Jrichard wrote:

I will be honest. At this point in the game with the rut hot on our tails I would try to find a a solid doe bedding area and hunt down wind of it. That's my guess. I mean trying to pin point specific buck beds right now is going to be a waste in my opinion. Who knows that buck in that bed may not even be around lol. And his patterns are all out of whack even if he is. The only certainty right now is that those bucks just want the does in those beds lol. Am I am willing to guess they are bedding in the thickest nastiest stuff in your area right now. I havent seen much for deer lately but thats because I did not adjust for the does adjusting to changing food sources. I am pretty sure I am on them now though. Good Luck!
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:41 pm

jwilkstn wrote:I would hike in to the NW and hunt that secluded saddle.

You think this would be a good area for deer to bed and eat, or just a good area in general to find a buck. Excuse my ignorance.

The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Jrichard wrote:
Jrichard wrote:

I will be honest. At this point in the game with the rut hot on our tails I would try to find a a solid doe bedding area and hunt down wind of it. That's my guess. I mean trying to pin point specific buck beds right now is going to be a waste in my opinion. Who knows that buck in that bed may not even be around lol. And his patterns are all out of whack even if he is. The only certainty right now is that those bucks just want the does in those beds lol. Am I am willing to guess they are bedding in the thickest nastiest stuff in your area right now. I havent seen much for deer lately but thats because I did not adjust for the does adjusting to changing food sources. I am pretty sure I am on them now though. Good Luck!

And that's one of the biggest reasons for me asking about this. Becauseof rut behavior changing things. This will be the first time I hunt around this time. Also if you notice on the second picture, right south of marker 1, all that stuff is really really thick stuff. It's probably 3 year old growth after they cut down that timber. And there's a 300 ft elevation gain on that. Thank you all for the help so far. I'm not trying to say I know much, just throwing that info out there.

Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:34 am

Jrichard wrote:
Jrichard wrote:

And that's one of the biggest reasons for me asking about this. Becauseof rut behavior changing things. This will be the first time I hunt around this time. Also if you notice on the second picture, right south of marker 1, all that stuff is really really thick stuff. It's probably 3 year old growth after they cut down that timber. And there's a 300 ft elevation gain on that. Thank you all for the help so far. I'm not trying to say I know much, just throwing that info out there.

My first sit, and I am no expert, would be where I found a couple of fresh trails coming out of that thick area on the down wind side of it. I would treat the first sit as an observation sit with high odds. Try to get in a tree that's going to give you a good range of sight if you can. If you can put all those things together I feel like you have a good shot at learning a lot about whats going on. And possibly tagging a deer. Idk maybe someone else could shed some light on the situation but that is what I would do. And on another note, if you can find a natural funnel in the area, like a rock wall or something or a terrain feature that doesnt show on the topo map, set up near that. It may take a day to figure things out but once you do, if you have a lot of does, and you have bedding, you should have bucks.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:26 am

You think this would be a good area for deer to bed and eat, or just a good area in general to find a buck. Excuse my ignorance.

Based on the terrain (may be influenced by cover or pressure) it should be a travel corridor that funnels movement through from multiple directions. Also, it looks like that field corner is just to the NE,creating an inside corner that deer who want to stay hidden should walk around.

Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”