What is a Trophy to you?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

What is a Trophy to you?

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

After years of watching deer & bear hunting shows and preaching let the little ones walk I began to ask myself what is a real Trophy. I had a friend that would shoot the very first buck he seen, even if it was a spike, I would tell him you should let him walk and wait for the big boys. I could see the thrill and excitement on his face with each (what I called) small buck he proudly displayed. After what has happened to me this year, I will never criticize anyone or think anything less of that person for the size of animal he has shot. Every animal is a Trophy.
What is a Trophy to you?

Haus86

Re: What is a Trophy to you?

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:52 am

I have had ground shrinkage the last couple of years and it has unfortunately ruined my hunt. I have lost some of the excitement and that has made me a little concerned. I think with age I will get over the feeling that a hunt is only successful if I shoot a mature buck. Lately, I have been more excited seeing family and friends have success. Right now I would say most places I hunt a 3 year old buck is a trophy to me.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:56 am

any deer is aa trophy to whoever took it, who are we to say otherwise. this is how i feel about it.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:59 am

Tim

Your right..
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:23 am

A "trophy" is in the eye of the beholder. My 1st deer ( a button buck ) was a true trophy, or accomplishment to me... I think I was 9 years old at the time. My next biggest trophy was a 7 point buck which was my 1st bow kill a year after that.... I do think the average 1 1/2 year old buck is not a trophy any longer once someone has several and continues to shoot them on a regular basis. 1st deer? Maybe... But really, a 1 1/2 year old buck is just a baby and is not a true representative of the herd.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:57 am

For me the trophy defination change's as the season's roll past....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Mike K

Unread postby Mike K » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:15 am

To me a trophy is a 2.5 year old or bigger when Im hunting by myself. With my son its every deer I shoot no matter how big it is. The smile on his face is priceless.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:29 am

I would say that for me, it depends on the circumstances of the hunt. If I'm hunting private land with a lot of big bucks, I might consider a P&Y a real trophy. If I'm hunting public, I might consider any 2.5 year old or bigger a trophy. If I'm hunting late season heavily hunted public trying to fill a tag, I'd be happy with any deer.

What's unfortunate to me is that I see other people's idea of a trophy influenced by peer pressure. I know people that might pass on a certain sized deer because they'd be embarrased to show its picture around, even young people going for their first deer. I agree that a trophy should be in the eye of the beholder, and that shouldn't be influenced by what anyone else considers a trophy.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:41 am

To me a trophy is dictated by the area, weapon, and the hunt. An example for me would be when I stalked up to within 20 yds of a bedded spike buck in northern Wis with my muzzleloader. I wouldn't normally consider a spike a trophy but I hadn't taken a buck with my muzzleloader yet and the fact that I got so close to him made the hunt special. I decided to pass on him but really thought long and hard about taking him. If I would have shot, I would have considered that spike a trophy because of the situation. My usual goal is to take a deer that is 4 or older.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:45 am

My very first year deer hunting I was under the impression I was going to kill a monster (hyped up by TV of course) so I passed on a nice spike buck. My dad who has been hunting since he was 12 has only killed a handful of deer ever and scolded me for passing on a legal buck. The family mentality has been "take what the good Lord sends ya" and to them most any deer is a trophy. It is to me too I would say as I have shot, or shot at, a fair amount of small deer :lol: After a handful of years hunting on my own now my definition of a trophy has changed. A trophy to me is created by the story of the hunt, the size of the rack is simply a bonus. When hunting alone on GOOD private lands I too will hold out to see what's behind the next tree. But on our northern WI private land or public land I'm not too choosy. I'd say a trophy to me is a deer harvested trying new sets of tactics and having them pan out successfully. Plus when those juicy loins come of the charcoal grill and onto the table I forget all about the size of the rack...can't eat antlers.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:29 am

my first buck with a bow was one that meant alot to me and got me driven ever sense..it was a 2 1/2 yr old 8 point with a broken brow tine..when that buck came into bow range..it seemed to be like a 4 1/2 yr old 150 inch..i got so excited and nervous..now that i killed a few bucks under my belt..a true trophy to me is a mature buck 4 1/2 yrs old..one that iv been passing up..keeping track of..and watch get mature..when you finally harvest that buck theres no greater feeling
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:46 am

ImageThis is the best trophy I have been part of! My sons first deer. He will work thru shooting spikes and forks, and on to big bucks, and the day he is in this picture with his son none of the other deer will matter as much as this one, just like his dad! Best day of my hunting life!
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:56 am

Right on UPbowhunter!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:01 am

Every animal I take is a trophy as I exclusively hunt with a bow. I hunt the animals I want to eat or to give to someone who will eat it.When they stop being so, I will quit hunting.
I will kill varmints if they come within bow distance without intent to eat them as they are varmints. An exceptionally beautiful one of the species, I would have mounted should I be fortunate enough to take one.
What I don't do anymore is, hunt for the sole purpose of antlers. I've done that and I found it very frustrating and draining mentally. I let many walk past as I did not think they would measure up to someone elses standards. It left me very frustrated and dissapointed.
I want each and every encounter in the field to be fun, exciting and uplifting rather than draining. If I don't get a big buck, it does not matter at all to me. I enjoy the way I hunt these days so much more than when I started and this is what makes each animal I take a trophy.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:57 am

When the arrow is released, the animal that gets the air let out shortly after is my thophy!!! I really never know what my next trophy will be until that time. I hope for a buck of the 3.5 year old or older area but never make a pack not to kill something in a younger age group. I just love the feeling of releasing an arrow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”