bedding question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

daveynewman
500 Club

bedding question

Unread postby daveynewman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:00 pm

while searching for my cousins buck on state land I noticed this year they did a lot of logging.

there was an area I found on a logging trail they created that they left down trees all over and it was nasty thick.

it looked like a bedding dream. there was even a scrape 10 yards from the what I believe would be great bedding.

how long do u think it would take deer to actually start bedding there ?

I marked it on my GPS and my plan is when when it gets pressured from gun to hunt it and get in extremely early as I had the feeling that it would deff be a perfect situation.

or do u think it still needs more time for under growth ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

venisonassassin
500 Club

Re: bedding question

Unread postby venisonassassin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:42 pm

From my experience with clearcut areas up in northern WI where we do some hunting, in about 2 years those cuts are thick enough that deer will bed there. Thats assuming that they grow back in aspen, which most of them do. At that point they are food and cover all in one.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:58 pm

what I think I should do is during make an entrance to this area next year for the future so I make very little noise cuz it's a long ways in

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:10 am

daveynewman wrote:what I think I should do is during make an entrance to this area next year for the future so I make very little noise cuz it's a long ways in

Just keep in mind that if you make a trail easier to get in and out and the surrounding gets really thick, expect deer travel on that trail. Every animal takes the path of least resistant
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:27 am

Jonny wrote:
daveynewman wrote:what I think I should do is during make an entrance to this area next year for the future so I make very little noise cuz it's a long ways in

Just keep in mind that if you make a trail easier to get in and out and the surrounding gets really thick, expect deer travel on that trail. Every animal takes the path of least resistant

Even worse than that, people will start using that path. And before you know it, you have 3 or 4 monkeys jumping around your spot on days you are not there. I feel the same way about ladder stands and glow tacks. people find a good spot and put them up. There is a reason that those stands/paths/tacks are there. Especially if its not made my mother nature. sticks out like a sore thumb. And anyone with half a brain will know why. Just my opinion though.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:30 am

I just deep down feel they will go there once they get pressured cuz the thickness of the area

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:48 am

Jrichard wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Even worse than that, people will start using that path. And before you know it, you have 3 or 4 monkeys jumping around your spot on days you are not there. I feel the same way about ladder stands and glow tacks. people find a good spot and put them up. There is a reason that those stands/paths/tacks are there. Especially if its not made my mother nature. sticks out like a sore thumb. And anyone with half a brain will know why. Just my opinion though.

I actually use tacks alot and cut trails to mess with people. I have put a couple people in some nasty 6-7ft blackberry patches. Teaches people to be honest. But for my own spots, I will blaze a trail if needed but make it impossible to find and walk without knowing it ahead of time. I have a spot in a river bottom this year for gun season that is literally impossible to access. Almost a shear cliff next to a road with miles of hardwoods on top. Coming in the back door with the ol hip boots
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:36 am

I'll just put a camera on it and leave it for a year to closet some info on it

venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:58 pm

You could mark your path inconspicuously like put a bend in it right at the beginning or don't star blazing it til ten feet in or something and mark it with a log or other natural landmark. If any of that makes sense.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:34 pm

I looked all over today I could not find any maps or anything on them having maps on the new logging trails they are putting in

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:07 am

daveynewman wrote:I looked all over today I could not find any maps or anything on them having maps on the new logging trails they are putting in

Google the state forest for your state and add logging. For me it would be "wisconsin state forest logging". Look around on the site and you should find bid prospectus which is fancy for what they want logged. You might have to go through a couple to find what area you are looking for. I have seen logging jobs done 2 years after the bid was posted. Within each bid they will include a crude map that shows the logging trails designated to be used. Hopefully this helps
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:57 am

Do you have a GPS? If its not a known bedding area just yet and you are not worried about burning it out this year, I would go in and map everything out using my GPS. Mark points of interest and feature differences. Even topo maps wont give you ALL of the information that you need. There may be nobs or hills that are not marked on the topomaps. or features you wont see until you piece all of the information out by marking trails, bed, and food sources in the area. Then you can import the information on google maps and google earth and it'll give you a ton of information. And if the deer are sleeping there or traveling through there it'll all be on the aerial maps

That's just what I would do if I did not have any maps. Shoot I would do that even if I did just to be sure I knew exactly what was around.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:28 am

Jonny wrote:
daveynewman wrote:I looked all over today I could not find any maps or anything on them having maps on the new logging trails they are putting in

Google the state forest for your state and add logging. For me it would be "wisconsin state forest logging". Look around on the site and you should find bid prospectus which is fancy for what they want logged. You might have to go through a couple to find what area you are looking for. I have seen logging jobs done 2 years after the bid was posted. Within each bid they will include a crude map that shows the logging trails designated to be used. Hopefully this helps

That's a great tip! I'll have to check and see if that information is available for my state.

Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”