Specifics about cover

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNstalker

Specifics about cover

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:49 am

So I've been looking at all types of thick cover for bedding Got some cams out see what happens. But my questions to y'all is do you see ur oldest bucks in cover much taller than there head an that would make it harder for them to move around? Or lower cover that's dense an hides them well when they lay down?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Ol'DanBoone

Re: Specifics about cover

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:45 am

Taller cover. I'd imagine, it has more to do with how remote and secluded the area is though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:11 am

Depends largely on the habitat...

A buck in a marsh typically can't see but a few feet till later in the fall...

A buck in the hills on a point might be able to see a very long ways..lots of beds I've located in hill country there's not much cover at all...maybe a log or tree top to their back...I have one bed on the edge of big pines...

I have beds in farmland in briar patches that they can't see a foot or 2 from...

Typically i find doe bedding IN thicker stuff...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:21 am

Great question. Tall cover is better than shorter cover. Bucks like to be Ghosts; invisible.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:40 am

See my thoughts are the once u reach a certain height it's hard for them to move be around in bc of there rack get caught up in the cover an make noise. When I say tall I'm taking 6ft plus nasty as . Was walking through some yesterday ten foot tall thinking why would a buck with a big rack be in here?!! Yeah it's thick but he is gonna make a lot of noise or get hung on everything.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:08 am

You would be amazed at how fast big bucks can run thru thick/tall cover. I've found doe's bedded in shorter chest high cover, but usually not bucks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:57 am

I really like thick briars and tall weeds 5 to 20 feet high. As noted, amazing what bucks can move through with their racks. I seem to see more big bucks in that kind of thick cover....almost like a CRP type stuff but in and close to woods. This creates a transition that they like as well. However, it may be I see more there because that is what I hunt the most.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:14 pm

That's one problem with hunting in the south we have plenty of crp an logging so cover is plentiful. Makes me think about cover differently. Not just unpressured cover but what makes one thicker different from the next.

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:49 pm

The thicker the taller the better!!

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:22 am

Here is what I think tall is fine. But how easily can he move around during the day if he wants to where he is bedded. Not escaping the cover so much as how easliy does it allow the buck to move around feed a stretch. I think there is a difference in cover from place to place. Whether it's high pressure with low cover or low pressure with lots of cover.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:09 am

Any thick creek bottom, crp and Briar thickets excite me

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”