Predators, how to deal with them???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mathews418

Predators, how to deal with them???

Unread postby mathews418 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:36 pm

I know that a lot of beast members hunt in wolf and coyote territory, I myself have never really had to deal with this issue much at all. Where I am at I do not have any wolves around, however the coyote population has exploded in the past years. I am 31 and never really had a problem of going in and out of the woods mainly because I wasn't that far away from the truck or house. Since joining the beast and soaking in the info and putting it to use I have found some great areas to key in on that are around a mile from where I park, however there is coyote sign everywhere and yes I have gotten them on trail cam as well. I do not hunt mornings except during the rut which will be happening in about 1.5 weeks. In order to get to my areas I will need to start heading into my set ups at 4:30 am to get past other hunters who will show up later. I've read where guys (and or gals) are walking in and out of the woods and the yotes are howling and cutting up. So my question is how do you deal with knowing they are around and still going in to hunt? As I said earlier I've never really had to deal with this up until now. So I am finding myself to be timid of going in when I need to (I know this sounds dumb, and makes myself out to be a wuss). Thank you guys for all the information and the stories you have shared with us.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

FRH
500 Club

Re: Predators, how to deal with them???

Unread postby FRH » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:44 pm

They're gonna be more afraid of you than anything. I would say the odds of you getting attacked are slim to none. It's a mind thing you just have to overcome. After you do it a few times you'll wonder why you were so worried in the first place. It's really not a big deal.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:07 pm

I don't worry about coyotes even though I hear them quite often or know they are around. Personally I have no fear of them. Only time they are a concern is when I have a deer down only because I know how quick they can get on one and ruin it. Thursday night an entire pack started calling almost immediately after I gutted my buck so I covered him up with my outer clothing so my scent would keep them away until I got back to get him out.

Wolves and cougar tend to worry me much more and have had scary encounters with both. I hunted in wolf country for many years and never had issues till a pack followed me out one night after bowhunting in late-season. I am now much more aware of them when hunting up north even though I know odds are extremely low of having an issue.

mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Dewey wrote:I don't worry about coyotes even though I hear them quite often or know they are around. Personally I have no fear of them. Only time they are a concern is when I have a deer down only because I know how quick they can get on one and ruin it. Thursday night an entire pack started calling almost immediately after I gutted my buck so I covered him up with my outer clothing so my scent would keep them away until I got back to get him out.

Wolves and cougar tend to worry me much more and have had scary encounters with both. I hunted in wolf country for many years and never had issues till a pack followed me out one night after bowhunting in late-season. I am now much more aware of them when hunting up north even though I know odds are extremely low of having an issue.

I read that in your story Dewey congrats, and thanks for the info.

mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Thanks FRH, I was thinking it will be more of a personal battle instead of a physical one.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:43 pm

I have no fear of coyotes but wolves and bears make me nervous alittle. I never saw a wolf but I see there tracks in the winter all the time. Beast member Nocturnal was circled by a pack of wolves this fall. Freaky. But they say you gotta better chance at winning the powerball than being attacked. I'm also scared of getting sprayed by skunks. Lol.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Coyotes wont hurt ya man just if u shoot one and find it without a knife lay your coat or something that smells like you on it that will keep the yotes off. I personalky have a cpl so i carry my pistol at all times when hunting public more for jerk people than anything but yea ive had them put a chill up my spine or two. Just got to deal with it man after awhile it will be no big thang.

Earn what’s never given.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:44 pm

I hunt in areas with some wolves and alot of bear and coyotes. I never see them but I see where they been. I've walked across an open field after dark once and it was filled with a bunch of howling coyotes. They came close to me yipping and whatever and I just kept walking. They kept their distance. The woods, if you think about it, is actually a really boring place. Sitting on stand all day for a week straight and I never even catch a glimpse of those other critters. At night might be different but Im not out there after dark.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:42 pm

I totally ignore them...
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:50 pm

I don't pay attention . We have so many around the house , hear them all the time . If they come in bow range they will always be eating a broadhead . I've shot several with the bow .

nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:48 pm

Lots of coyotes where I hunt. I have never had an issue. I have also never heard of anyone else having an issue.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:04 am

I am not afraid of coyotes when I am in the woods because I am always armed. There have been a few cases in my state where coyotes did attack people. One that comes to mind is a guy was scouting in early September in the mountains in Dauphin Co. He was in thick mt laurel and had to get on his hands and knees for a while and he poped out into an opening in the laurel right into a group of coyotes and they jumped on him and bit him up on his hands and arms. He then went directly to the Game Commission HQ in Harrisburg which was the closest PGC office and showed his wounds to them and told his story. They promptly sent him to the hospital to be checked over and evaluated for possible rabies shots. I suspect the attack was out of surprise and not out of hunger.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
fauxfly

Unread postby fauxfly » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:21 am

I completely understand your concern...the mighty wolf is a high level predator - just like you and me. He can reason and is intelligent enough to organize others in his pack to hunt effectively - enter you - the wolf will quickly figure out what you are doing, your scent stream goes to a certain spot. It stays there till dark, then the stream goes towards a vehicle. He'll figure it out quick - your lying in ambush waiting for your prey. Same as him...and he won't be very interested - other than just out of curiosity.

If you talk to any of the wolf hunters, they will tell you the same, wolves are pretty smart - they know what your doing and they also know your very, very, dangerous. I think there has only been 1 or 2 documented cases of full blown wolf attacks in WI, in the last 40 years. (I'm not talking about the guy who shoots one illegally and then claims he was attacked either.)

Your concern - although valid, is just not needed. If you want to be concerned about something in the woods after dark - worry about skunks...now those little bas@##$s really freak me out!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:11 am

Coyotes are absolute cowards, do not give them another thought. I am more worried about domestic dogs loose in the woods than coyotes.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:41 am

Thank you guys for the responses, it is greatly appreciated!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”