Milkweed in a popup blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Milkweed in a popup blind

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:35 am

I have hunted out of a popup since I started using milkweed and beast tactics. I know it can't "beat the wind," but if you're out of the wind, would it prevent your scent from being pulled on those swirling days? There are a couple factors topographic and otherwise that prevent steady wind here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Milkweed in a popup blind

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:06 am

They for sure help but your scent gets pulled out of the windows. My dad hunts out of our tower stands a lot. He/we can never figure out where his scent is gonna go. It's like it just leaks outa the structure. That per his report. I don't spend a whole lot of time in the tower blinds so this info is second hand

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:13 am

matt1336 wrote:They for sure help but your scent gets pulled out of the windows. My dad hunts out of our tower stands a lot. He/we can never figure out where his scent is gonna go. It's like it just leaks outa the structure. That per his report. I don't spend a whole lot of time in the tower blinds so this info is second hand

It seems like I had gotten away with more when I used to use them. Our winds are very unpredictable here it's not uncommon too have it change to all four directions multiple times in a sit, and the canopy is usually too dense to get a thermal updraft

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:32 am

They can help tremendously, but only if the wind can't blow thru it. I have a double bull matrix 360 and I always leave the drop down windows closed and open about 1/3 to 1/4 of the horizontal window. Avoid a cross wind. It works best if the wind is strait in your face or coming from directly behind you.

I don't use my blind much but have had does and fawns directly down wind within 40 yards and not bust. I have a friend who claims a doe smelled his blind with him inside and didn't bust.

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:58 am

Lockdown wrote:They can help tremendously, but only if the wind can't blow thru it. I have a double bull matrix 360 and I always leave the drop down windows closed and open about 1/3 to 1/4 of the horizontal window. Avoid a cross wind. It works best if the wind is strait in your face or coming from directly behind you.

I don't use my blind much but have had does and fawns directly down wind within 40 yards and not bust. I have a friend who claims a doe smelled his blind with him inside and didn't bust.

Thanks I was actually thinking about your thread last spring about your dad hunting in box blinds, when I wrote this. I think I've have had more hunts than not here, where the wind keeps shifting, about the only consistent days are calm mornings using the thermal drop

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:19 am

The trick is sealing it up. Use duct tape on the inside if you have to. It sucks not being able to see and shoot behind you but if air is getting thru you're screwed. Make sure the bottom of the blind is sealed too. Some have a flap for piling dirt on. Every little bit helps.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 am

Do you have private land where you can leave the blind out? Same day sets with a pop up are tough.

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:33 am

Lockdown wrote:Do you have private land where you can leave the blind out? Same day sets with a pop up are tough.

I don't have private access but we can leave stands and blinds out from September 1-march 1. I have one chained to a tree now I'm just waiting for the right time to hunt it. I think I'll be buying more pop ups now though. Good idea on the duct tape I wouldn't have thought of that. Do you let them air out before you set them up?

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:35 am

We have so many evergreens here that they're pretty easy to brush in, I actually know a few guys who have had same day setup success but I prefer having that done before season. In the right place you could probably almost have places pretrimmed and pop it up for the day and not have it be too noticeable

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:55 am

I have had same day success out of mine three times, although none of those deer were killed by me! Wife shot a 2 yr old buck at 60 yds gun hunting, then her yearling bow buck at 17 yards, and my buddy Tyler killed a public land 2 yr old 11 point in December with a bow at 20 yds. Oscar killed out of it once in his grove but it was pre-set.

I got mine used on eBay and didn't do anything special with it. Airing it out for a few days or week definitely won't hurt.

Yeah if you have evergreens that will be a huge help.

Having pre-prepped spots is definitely a good idea for same day sets. I'm sure you'd be pretty limited on encroaching on bedding tho as they are so loud to set up.

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:59 am

Lockdown wrote:I have had same day success out of mine three times, although none of those deer were killed by me! Wife shot a 2 yr old buck at 60 yds gun hunting, then her yearling bow buck at 17 yards, and my buddy Tyler killed a public land 2 yr old 11 point in December with a bow at 20 yds. Oscar killed out of it once in his grove but it was pre-set.

I got mine used on eBay and didn't do anything special with it. Airing it out for a few days or week definitely won't hurt.

Yeah if you have evergreens that will be a huge help.

Having pre-prepped spots is definitely a good idea for same day sets. I'm sure you'd be pretty limited on encroaching on bedding tho as they are so loud to set up.

I'm mainly thinking for rut tactics on scrape line and downwind of doe bedding so probably won't be moving in too tight. but always good to be stealthy

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:18 am

If you can get milkweed to float while using a pop up blind let me know how.

I only hunt from the ground and no matter how strong the wind its, the milkweed floats maybe 5 feet and lands, they never just float away out of view.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:26 am

do you feel like you can get away with more during shifting winds from a popup than 30 feet up a tree? I'm kinda leaning towards pop ups some of these areas just have very unpredictable winds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”