Your first time hunting (fun topic)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tuffdaddy

Your first time hunting (fun topic)

Unread postby Tuffdaddy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:22 am

I was just reading through my journal from last year, my first, in the pursuit of the elusive whitetail. I was reminded of the comedy that ensued early that first morning. Here's a link to my journal, where I copied the post from last year.

viewtopic.php?f=191&t=37642&p=546849#p546849

How about you guys. Any fun stories from the first time you went in the woods? By the way, I'm still freaked out every time I get out of the truck and hear coyotes yipping in the pitch black lol. Something I'll apparently never shake even though I hunt and kill them in the winter time lol.

john1984

Re: Your first time hunting (fun topic)

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:34 am

In the fall of 99 when I was 15 I bought a .22 rifle and a shotgun. I got such a crazy insane natural high killing my first squirrel and pheasant. My Dad took pics. But when it was time to get the film developed, the camera NEVER had any film in it the whole time :( :( :( boy was I bummed

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:58 am

I'll never forget the doe I gut shot the first year I ever hunted. It was pre determined before we left the house that if I shot a deer I would have to field dress it. I had no problem with this since I had watched and help my father do this several times. We'll after I shot my doe I was so jacked and had that crazy adrenaline rush that my dad thought maybe he should do it so I wouldn't cut myself.

So we walk up to it and my dad informs me that I shot it in the guts. He says " son I'm only doing this once and your going to stand right here the whole time." I had never smelled deer guts before that afternoon. As he is dressing the doe I'm gagging and dry heaving and doing everything I can to keep from blowing lunch all over my dad's shoulders. I just remember him laughing/ gagging himself the entire time. I'm not sure if I induced his gagging with my own or the deer was helping. But it was a great moment I got to share with him and one I will never forget.

And you never forget that smell...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Joe™
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:00 am

My first time was turkey hunting with my dad. I was 10, had to be 12 to hunt, so he said I was his official turkey caller. He had bought me a box call that I just about wore out practicing with. My Mom loved it..hahaha. Anyway, we got setup that morning and I let her rip. Sounded more like a dying swan than a turkey but Dad didn't care. 10 minutes went by and all of sudden 20 yards behind use a gobbler went off. I don't know who jumped higher, me or Dad. Needless to say Dad was not ready for that encounter and the bird spooked. Wish I had a dollar for every time Dad said, "I can't believe that just happened."

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”