I just want to know WHY???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ol'DanBoone

I just want to know WHY???

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:53 am

I'm gonna preface this by say PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS WRONG!!!!! I mean zero offense, but I'm compelled to ask this out of curiosity. I also realize that if I have to preface this, maybe I shouldn't ask it, but I'm going to. This will explain to me a lot about people's hunting philosophy, and to me, philosophy is FAR MORE important than the nitty gritty of specific tactics.
But, I tend to see a lot of people asking "what do you think of x spot", "is this worth a sit", etc. And these questions are followed by maps, diagrams, notes etc. Don't get me wrong, I've asked a question or two like that last season,when I first found this site. The resounding answer was along the lines of "well, you won't know until you try, or see for yourself".
So, why are there soon many questions?? Why will people not just go follow up there hunches with a sit or two??? I've noticed that the guys on here who get it done consistently, seem to be very bold. They don't appear to mull it over. They find a spot, assess the situation, for a plan and just go for it.
I understand time is limited for some guys, and they don't want to squander precious chances. But the more a person does on their own, the more I believe the person learns, and has the lessons learned, good or bad seared into their hunting psyche. For me, this time in my hunting career is, as I think the future will show, the greatest time of my life. I'm like a young wolf or mt lion, learning to "kill".
But it's not just various Internet hunting forums, it's the current hunting culture in general. I see lots of guys that second guess themselves or are unsure. It "paralyzes" them, and slows their learning. Some guys, that are what I would consider serious hunters, who a very knowledgeable, are destined from the start to do the same old things, for the rest of their lufe, and get the same old results, never once taking what they already kno, capitalizing on it, and upping their game to newer and greater levels.
So, in short, why are people hampered by this unsurity? Fear of failure? Fear of being wrong??? Looking stupid??? Wasting time?? What is it??? What causes guys to by pass that natural born, instinctive, intuitive hunter inside them?

- thanks,
Hunter Smith

P.s. I know this is off the wall and all, but for me, I'm as interested in EVERY single facet of hunting, from history, personalities, it's evolution, etc. Also, I'm sorry if my post is long-winded and seems unclear in its topic.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: I just want to know WHY???

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:21 am

I think it's a lack of confidence in the subject matter, whether that be "where's the bedding?", "good spot for rut cruising? ", etc etc.

While I think that the best information is that which we learn ourselves the hard way, I think what makes this site, the people here, and the information shared here, so awesome is that we all want to shorten our learning curve and/or expand our knowledge of different terrain and habitat. Take a guy from the flat farm ground in southern Michigan who is planning his first trip to another state. Say Kentucky or Ohio. He's studying maps and wondering "where can I find deer in these hills?". He's probably never hunted more than a 30 foot elevation change and the topo he's looking at varied by 300.

I don't think it takes away from the growth of the hunter to learn from others in order to maximize his time, but I agree with your line of thinking that sometimes you've just gotta get out there and roll with your decision.

Not all those who wander are lost...
jwilkstn
500 Club

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:23 am

Then again, a few guys are just lazy and want the knowledge of others to tell then where to kill a buck without having to invest in the scouting that it requires...

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:31 am

^^^^ both posts are spot on IMO

People are just trying to avoid learning the hard way and wasting time. Learning the hard way is the best way to learn, and also the most frustrating.

To me it's no different than pulling up to the boat ramp and asking the guy who's leaving for tips. Why spend 4 hours locating fish when you can receive a tip and be on them right away?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jwilkstn
500 Club

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:36 am

If questions weren't being asked then we wouldn't have much information here.

fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:42 am

Ha I'm guilty as charged. For me it's affirming a hunch. i generally know what i am going to do but want another set of eyes looking at it to either see something I don't or confirm my thoughts.

Ultimately though a hunter has to make a decision and hunt it and live with the results. Worst case scenario the spot stinks and you'll have another example of what didn't work!

I can say ive asked other guys on here about spots that i know i have had encounters in and the feedback i get is much better than the spots i am working a hunch on.

Peter

Unread postby Peter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:52 am

I'm a new hunter, trying to teach myself. I don't know anyone who bow hunts, don't have anyone to take me out and walk the woods to show how to recognize good spots. The guys I know who gun hunt just go sit the same place year after year, and don't have much success. I'm also a dad to two little kids and have a full time job and other hobbies. I'm not, and won't ever be, as hard core as many of the guys on this site. It's amazing to have access to the discussions and get feedback on planning a hunt from such experienced hunters. The guys who are willing to answer questions like these make my experience as a "hunter" much more fun.

I really appreciate that seasoned hunters are willing to share their knowledge here.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:54 am

For me , I think it's the best part of hunting . Fun Having a new piece of ground to figure out like pieces to a puzzle. A lot of guys may have limited time to scout , I know having a family can do that . Cyber scouting and forums like this are some things that are an easy way to get a head start . I was mostly a self taught bowhunter before the Internet was around , I'd rather dive in ,get dirty and see what happens . I'll check a map and just "go in blind " at times . ;)
And I'll say nothing wrong with asking questions on stand sites . I probably could have used some help back when I was young. :)
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:01 am

I think it's personality types, as well as an indication of where we've headed as an overall society. The majority of things in life have become easier, and people have gotten used to that as the norm for all things. The reality is that what you read on this site is nothing more than giving you the correct door that needs to be opened. But, it's up to you to grab the handle (look at maps of your areas), turn the handle (identify the areas on those maps of areas that need to be scouted), walk in the room (boots on the ground scouting), grasp the opportunity in the room (take what you saw and apply a gameplan), and then capitalize on that opportunity (hunt it). Most want to just grab the handle, turn it, and then kill the deer. That might work, but the odds are low. Most don't grasp how much off season scouting is necessary, and most aren't willing to put in the time and effort to do it. And, even with a ton of scouting, knowledge gaining, and game planning, this is still a low success game.

Look at Dan...he is THE FOUNDER AND ULTIMATE EXPERT at this game. It's Nov 4th, and his tag isn't filled. Dewey has pounded it hard this year, and he just tagged out yesterday. It isn't as easy as just reading this site, getting advice, and then going on for the kill. Sometimes you get lucky, and it works first time in, but more times than not, it takes a TON of work, a true test of your mental and physical stamina, and even then, it sometimes doesn't work.

I have seen many of those that post for advice on how to hunt a spot, it's their first post, and we rarely see them post again. I think the reason for that is because they want a shortcut, and when it didn't work, they gave up on this style. Not all, but I believe that's the case for quite a few.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:04 am

You can learn more in 2-3 hours in the woods than a week of reading and looking at maps, for whatever reason people seem to want to skip the most critical part of this style of hunting. You need feet on the ground and time in the woods to get all the pieces of the puzzle, lucky for me I love to scout.
Peter

Unread postby Peter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:18 am

headgear, you are right--and for me, it's been helpful to read, study maps, and then go out to see what it really looks like in person. Yesterday I learned that what I saw on the map looks much different in person. The spot I thought would be great was not. This will help me choose a better spot next time!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:09 am

Rome wrote:I think it's personality types, as well as an indication of where we've headed as an overall society. The majority of things in life have become easier, and people have gotten used to that as the norm for all things. The reality is that what you read on this site is nothing more than giving you the correct door that needs to be opened. But, it's up to you to grab the handle (look at maps of your areas), turn the handle (identify the areas on those maps of areas that need to be scouted), walk in the room (boots on the ground scouting), grasp the opportunity in the room (take what you saw and apply a gameplan), and then capitalize on that opportunity (hunt it). Most want to just grab the handle, turn it, and then kill the deer. That might work, but the odds are low. Most don't grasp how much off season scouting is necessary, and most aren't willing to put in the time and effort to do it. And, even with a ton of scouting, knowledge gaining, and game planning, this is still a low success game.

Look at Dan...he is THE FOUNDER AND ULTIMATE EXPERT at this game. It's Nov 4th, and his tag isn't filled. Dewey has pounded it hard this year, and he just tagged out yesterday. It isn't as easy as just reading this site, getting advice, and then going on for the kill. Sometimes you get lucky, and it works first time in, but more times than not, it takes a TON of work, a true test of your mental and physical stamina, and even then, it sometimes doesn't work.

I have seen many of those that post for advice on how to hunt a spot, it's their first post, and we rarely see them post again. I think the reason for that is because they want a shortcut, and when it didn't work, they gave up on this style. Not all, but I believe that's the case for quite a few.

Great post. We live in a society where everyone wants immediate gratification. This hobby doesn't usually work that way.

Although I know when I was new on here I just wanted more and more answers to my questions. I guess in my case though. Because I had already had my best chances after having spent alot of time scouting. I just knew this was another step up the ladder.

I believe some of the afore mentioned posters have just found the site and haven't had the chance to scout yet. They don't want to mess what may be a good thing up right now.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:32 am

For me, and probably a bunch of us, I'd say it's a lack of confidence and many guys here look at things differently than most regular hunters do...

It never hurts to get other opinions.. sometimes something is missed by one set of eyes and caught by another...

You can have the best eyes in the world look over stuff...but till you get boots on the ground you just don't know what is actually there....

Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:42 am

ive asked for a bit of help via pm from a member and it really helped me open my eyes.. I winter scouted a new spot and thought I had things down pat..well guess what this member helped point out some isolated areas I had overlooked.. know I KNOW better and have incorporated a whole other element into my scouting/hunting, it was a great learning experience.. btw Ive got all the DVD's and all the podcasts downloaded and just try and learn as much as I can..i don't see it as a bad thing guys asking questions at all, infact I look at it as help, I really enjoy looking at aerials guys post, picking out spots id hunt, then comparing to some veteran beasts... great way to learn and improve..
I get what youre saying tho, it seems like in life nowadays you just "google" anything and everything...maybe old habits die hard
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:59 am

I see alot of lazy guys with very few posts, looking for some free advise. Then they are gone.

Personally I don't have the experience with this type of hunting to give advice to anyone. I also don't post any maps of where I hunt because there are many Wisconsin stalker on here looking for some intel, and they may recognize something. I've been bowhunting for 40 years and learned thru the school of hard knocks. There are no "short cuts" to being a successful hunter! You need to get your but in the woods and walk, scout & hunt. Google maps wasn't around when I started hunting. You had to drive around, find a spot & walk the area looking for sign! Then make a decision on where to put your stand. I killed many deer in areas without ever seeing an aerial or topo map printout. It's called bustin your a$$
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”