I just want to know WHY???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ol'DanBoone

Re: I just want to know WHY???

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:25 am

Nor' easter, yeah, I completely understand that. That is what I was askin. I 7nderstand that everyone isn't as blessed as I am with nearly unlimited time in the fall experiment and hunt. It's just that some of these guys, as mentioned already had a game plan practically, go execute. If it don't work out, you were wrong, or something happened, so what. Your learning, and THAT'S success.
It's plain that some think I was attacking "asking questions". I'm defiantly NOT. But at some point, on some these post I wonder, "why don't you just get somebody from the forum to come out and shoot the buck for you too?"
Questions about deer/buck habits, the theory and execution behind strategies, wind, weather etc, andthing to bring greater understanding is a RELEVANT, and questions should be endless.
Idk, I guess I should just be quiet. Lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image

nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:38 am

I didn't think you were attacking anyone at all. I cant imagine that anyone on here is upset or offended by your post. You asked an honest question. I'm sure some guys are looking to avoid putting in the effort. That does get frustrating when guys post season after season looking to get somemeone to cyber scout for them for free, but overall it seems like a good group of people here on the beast. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority are just trying to learn. I agree that time spent in the woods is the most important tool. I'm working on freeing up time for late season, spring, and summer scouting. I'm finding that I enjoy scouting on foot as much as actually hunting.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:01 am

Because people aren't robots and have faults lol... everyone should understand its a process but human nature is impatient. Inexperience is also a big factor. People get confidence with success, it's hard to trust the process if one doesn't know what they are doing, that is learned.

Make It Happen
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:04 am

^^^yup. I'm trying not to generalize and I'm trying not to sound old. But too many 20 somethings don't know how to bust thier azz's. Now there are certainly exceptions to my comment. Big Hunt, TC and plenty others on here prove that there are holes in that theory. But holy cow- trying to work with (at my job) some of these just outa college aged kids is maddening. I think some of them recieved too many participation tropheys growing up. But that's life- they will, hopefully learn that life typically isn't handed to them- success takes hard work and there is no substitute for it. They'll learn.
So I'll keep giving my .02 when I think it could be helpful. They can do with it as they please.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 am

old Dan Boone wrote, "But at some point, on some these post I wonder, "why don't you just get somebody from the forum to come out and shoot the buck for you too?" .".

It's just not that easy. If it was Dan and all thee other expert map guys would be tagged out RIGHT away every season. These guys are not God. When Dan marks up a map, he's marking up the spots and areas that you should GO SCOUT and check out.

Last edited by john1984 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:38 am

That's kinda the point I'm making. Be your own man, trust your own self and ability. If guys need constant, external affirmation, even in the learning phase, they'll always be hindered. Killing the deer isn't what makes a set up or plan successful, it's the acquisition of knowledge and self growth. These two things will allow a guy to, eventually, go out and score over and over. That's not flash in the pan success, that's graduating to seasoned buck hunter.
I know people want to "hunt smarter" but you're going to have to learn to take some lumps. People are gonna kill 'your' buck, run him off, yoyr going to screw up the thermal, pick a dud etc. I guess, it's really a perspective on how you measure success.

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:09 am

tgreeno wrote:I see alot of lazy guys with very few posts, looking for some free advise. Then they are gone.

Personally I don't have the experience with this type of hunting to give advice to anyone. I also don't post any maps of where I hunt because there are many Wisconsin stalker on here looking for some intel, and they may recognize something. I've been bowhunting for 40 years and learned thru the school of hard knocks. There are no "short cuts" to being a successful hunter! You need to get your but in the woods and walk, scout & hunt. Google maps wasn't around when I started hunting. You had to drive around, find a spot & walk the area looking for sign! Then make a decision on where to put your stand. I killed many deer in areas without ever seeing an aerial or topo map printout. It's called bustin your a$$

True that, on bustin your A$$. People that look for a easy way out , in my eyes, really dont get hunting at all and thats not the way i want to be and do things. I want to earn my bucks the hard way and thats doin what it takes, and by what i have learned. If i go to ask a question on here i want it to be because im stumped, not becuase i want a short cut. Im tackling public land for the first time and the terrian is intense for a old flat lander. The hilly big woods are tricky to learn. This site and hill country dvd has helped me a ton, i owe dan a big thanks. But you gotta work you but off to make it happen( theres no other way around it). Glad to have the guys on this site for guidance theres alot of smart hunters on here! I havent been on here long but ive learned a lot in a short period of time. Thanks to all that post!!

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:41 am

I think it's a lot to do with immediate gratification and lazyness. To me it's similar to the guys I hunt with that don't know about this site but are more concerned with trying to know where I sat than what I sat. I agree with Dewey's post about learning more a few hours in the woods than weeks on here. Dan said something similar to lack of time, something along the lines of if you only have five days to hunt, scout for three of them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”