Evening Thermal question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Razor

Evening Thermal question

Unread postby Razor » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:30 am

Hi all
First post. Glad to be here.
Regarding Evening thermals.
Lets say you have a hollow with a creek bed running north and south with a ridge to the west about 80ft higher and fairly high ground to the east side but not as high.
High temps during day and cooling in the evening. Forcast sais slight breeze from west at 5mph turning Sw.
Wich way does the thermal flow normally travel through the hollow? North or South? Will it follow the light flow of the forcasted flow or prevailing direction?

Any tips appreciated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

headgear
500 Club

Re: Evening Thermal question

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:59 am

Would need to see a topo and a little of the surrounding areas to know for sure.
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:02 am

Razor wrote:Hi all
First post. Glad to be here.
Regarding Evening thermals.
Lets say you have a hollow with a creek bed running north and south with a ridge to the west about 80ft higher and fairly high ground to the east side but not as high.
High temps during day and cooling in the evening. Forcast sais slight breeze from west at 5mph turning Sw.
Wich way does the thermal flow normally travel through the hollow? North or South? Will it follow the light flow of the forcasted flow or prevailing direction?

Any tips appreciated.

With winds that light I wouldn't count on the forecasted wind direction to hold true with terrain like especially on an evening hunt. I'd expect your thermals to follow the terrain downslope as soon as the sun goes down and the air begins to cool. Down in that hollow the wind will likely be non existent resulting in your scent pooling there. In fact I'd bet that even if you hunt on the east edge your thermals are likely to follow the slope down into the hollow once things calm down. I've seen thermals go completely against the forecasted wind direction and follow downslope in similar conditions.

If it's that hollow you're interested in hunting over I'd recommend being on the downwind AND downhill side (SE) or if you prefer to be on the elevated hills I'd look for a spot on that east side that is just far enough away from the hollow to keep your thermals from falling into it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Razor

Unread postby Razor » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:59 am

Ahhh gotcha. That makes sense that you mention staying up beyond the area that will pull back into the hollow along the creek bed. Note taken.

The property is a 25 acre chunk of crp and an over grown beaver pond (bowl) that cuts into the side of the ridge and peters out into the the hollow to the north. Its actually a micro habitat of larger properties ive hunted. The bedding is all to the south and i was positioned on a fenceline to the NE part of the property.
The hunt felt good but i wanted to get some input.
At what MPH level do you guys diregard forcasted direction of wind. I once read 7mph and below. ???

Razor

Unread postby Razor » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:03 am

To add to the request for topo...honestly this and the ajacent properties are those ones that the 1 24k topos dont really give a great account on how drastic the elevation contours really are. Now a closer contour lined map would be better. If you know what i mean.

whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:21 am

I don't necessarily disregard wind direction in general... it's all relative to the specific terrain, land cover, amount of leaf cover, temp and so on. Situation dictates. I've just experienced thermals falling downslope when the wind calms just as the sun goes down. When that wind dies the wind direction means little and those dropping thermals will just fall wherever the terrain allows. So if your expecting movement through a low area below you and the winds are light you can then plan to set up just off that edge to where thermals might fall over the hill away from the deer yet close enough for a shot hopefully.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”