Hill Cruising setup question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinsonovagun

Hill Cruising setup question

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:50 am

I'm having second thought on a setup for tomorrow so I thought I'd hit up some other beasts. Access from down low along train tracks. Doe bedding is just below an old 2-track road that's grown up about 1/3 from the bottom. My initial thought was to hunt the 2-track road early and let my thermals fall, hoping a buck may be trailing, then move up to the bench 1/3 from the top when the thermals start to rise.

My other option is picking a tree in the dark or dusky light in between the bench and the 2-track, but that means laying down scent when I cross the 2-track and an early deer could walk right in to my falling thermals.

It may just need to be sat to see what's going to happen, but I was wondering if you guys may have seen a similar situation.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

backstraps

Re: Hill Cruising setup question

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:29 am

1st try to avoid second guessing your gut feeling! That never seems to work out for me!

its hard for me to suggest anything not knowing whats going on in your hunting area, but if your plans are hunting low prior to thermals rising, then moving to 2/3rd level on a bench, I think that sounds solid.

Personally I wouldn't set up between bottom and 2/3rd, because when thermals begin to rise, if anything cruises the bench above you, it more than likely going to catch you scent via thermal. I would hunt where I had best odds of not getting winded.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:59 am

I think my initial plan is the best for the situation. I'm going to stick with it at this point. It's an western-facing side, so it's going to take some time for thermals to rise. Plus I have large open water. Thanks for the thoughts. Kind of confirmed what I thought in the first place.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:34 am

Having any action today?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:46 am

Having any action today?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:00 am

Still at it but haven't seen a single deer. Makes for long days when it goes like this. Had to move up the hill at 9:45 when thermals started rising.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”