Deer Snort Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Deer Snort Question

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:38 am

Thinking about an encounter I had the other night at dusk with a buck. He was walking (likely from bed to feeding) into the wind and didn't seem alarmed. He was snorting every 10 seconds or so, not really an aggressive snort like we've all heard before. Just continued on his way without ever looking around or running. I let some milkweed fly and it wasn't going anywhere near him. He was about 60 yards away. Any ideas on what might have been going on there? It's possible he busted me but I just don't think so. I have a pretty good idea where he's bedding and I'm going to try to intercept him early on Friday morning regardless, but I'm curious what others would think happened there?

venisonassassin
500 Club

Re: Deer Snort Question

Unread postby venisonassassin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:12 am

Snorting seems very misunderstood. One single loud snort means the deer is alarmed but isn't quite sure of the danger. A series of short snorts means youre pretty much busted. What I'm thinking you heard was that a deer will use to alert it's presence to other deer. I witnessed this while scouting from a distance this preseason, I was watching 2 deer graze, suddenly heard a snort, those 2 looked back and another was coming toward them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”