blood trail stats....any thoughts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MentatArcher

Re: blood trail stats....any thoughts?

Unread postby MentatArcher » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:51 pm

Any bubbly blood anywhere? Thinking it deflected from shoulder blade/upper leg bone (sounds like it would have blown through otherwise) and cut between the shoulder/rib cage a little before it stopped. If it was a large gash that sounds consistent with grazing his rib cage at a frontal angle.

If there was no indication of lung blood and depending on how much initial trail there was.. thinking he would make it as it's prob just a muscle hit.

Cams are definitely a good idea.. if you can get on him again. Near a likely water source might be your best chance.

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:47 am

Initially I thought I had lung blood...but muscle hits can give that look sometimes...Ive never seen a muscle hit bleed so long..100yds or so and poof...or after they bed once..but being the arrow is very likely in him that can explain it still bleeding..

Thinking about it over and over...I think he was maybe broadside and lifted that front right to paw the scrape as I released...thatd explain the hit being out of place and a larger than should be wound..and would be a lack of a lung hit...

Gunna search a few places after work..move cams..see what I can come up with

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:58 am

Another 2.5hrs this evening...no sign of him...

Unfortunately in my haste after the shot I forgot to clock my camera back on...after I climbed down I checked it expecting to have pictures of him before/after the shot...I'm still not sure how he didn't trigger it...

Shot was 12yds right about what I figured..I found a branch with a fresh break..tiny twig..I couldn't tell of the deer did it or my broadhead maybe caught it...hard to say..it's part of their licking branch...

I walked perimeter of his bedding area..no tracks id think we're his..walked the ditch several hundred yards from his bedding to my stand site...walked the other ditch up the entire way and the side ditch...I really thought if he was anywhere he'd be up there...I jumped one deer up there... guessing it was a small buck I've seen up there before..didn't look to have the body of the one I shot...

I moved my camera to a perimeter trail crossing on the outskirts of his bedding area...I didnt get a chance to get my other one moved down in there somewhere....

I gained a lot of Intel...I have 2 other spots selected in there...

Really...it's just one big good ditch..I really like a spot just beyond my stand location...the other ditch meets and several trails meet right there...issue will be access without spooking anything...that's why I like my spot..I give up 1 side trail and only about 50yds of it..

I just dont know...

I've decided I've done what I could...I have around 20 solid hours of boots on the ground...I've checked every spot I can think of..

Tuesday begins my vacation...until then I'm gunna keep an eye out for vultures...shine the fields in the area....but come Tuesday I'm back to hunting...I will hunt a couple days in PA and then head for Michigan...

I'm confident in my shooting..ive played the shot over a million times and I wouldn't do a thing differently... hindsight I guess I'd wait and let him do his thing at the scrape...but, anyone that hunts close quarters thick nasty stuff 10ft off the ground and a mature buck 12yds away...I think sending the arrow at the first opportunity you have is wise..in this case I believe what happened was as I released he lifted that right front paw to work the scrape..

I couldn't tell if I hit that shoulder or if/how/which legs weren't working right...I just noticed my arrow and focused on it, where it was, and how deep it was..And he ran HARD.

Sucks...I hate it. Hopefully he is fine and maybe it'll be me that gets another crack at him...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”